22 | lifeguard

L I L Y

L I L Y

Why did she agree to this?

Lily grabbed hold of the railing as the yacht took another sharp turn that would've sent her sliding down the leather sofa of the cabinet, if she wasn't holding on. Sirius' enthusiastic laughter boomed over the sounds of Drake's Hotline Bling. While Irene and Peter were upstairs in the cockpit, trying to help Sirius maneuver the yacht-and failing miserably-Lily refused to leave the cabinet and join James and Remus on the deck. She was pretty sure that, if she were to look at the pitch black sea and the waves the yacht created as it coursed through the waters, she would hurl up her dinner.

"Evans!" came James' voice from outside. "Come join us."

"Are you mad?" Lily yelled back. "At the speed at which this thing is going? Absolutely not."

As if she'd complained about wanting to go faster, the yacht almost doubled its speed. Lily screamed, strengthening her grip on the railing.

"Sirius, slow down!" she cried over the music.

"What?" he yelled back. "I can't hear you."

Lily opened her mouth to repeat herself, when the volume of the music increased. She brought her hands to her ears, which ended up being a mistake; the moment she let go of the railing, her body tipped backwards. For the third time that night, she rolled out of the sofa and hit the ground.

James walked in right at that moment and saw her on the floor. Immediately, he doubled over and guffawed.

"It's not funny, you git!" she yelled as she got to her feet, slapping away James' helping hand who was now sucking in his lips to smother his laughter.

"I'm sorry," he said, then started cracking up again. "I'll go take charge of the wheel."

"I'm coming with you," Lily said promptly.

She held onto James' arm to prevent herself from falling as she made her way over to the stairs. With a theatrical gesture of the hand, he motioned for her to climb first.

"I'll be behind to catch you in case you fall."

She gave him a knowing look and grabbed hold of the railings. "Are you sure that's not an excuse to stare at my butt?"

"What?" James gasped dramatically. "Of course not, I'm a gentleman. Though, I have to say, objectively speaking, you do have a great butt-Ow!"

Lily slapped him in the arm and rolled her eyes. As the yacht took another immediate turn, her stomach dropped and she lost her grip on the railings. She felt her body lose balance, but just then, James placed his hands on her waist firmly to keep her from falling. She looked at him over her shoulder. There was a smile of amusement on his lips.

"Told you I'd be here to catch you if you fall."

She smiled back in gratitude, then continued up the stairs, sticking out her hand to help James up when she had climbed into the cockpit. The music blasted through the speakers. If Lily thought it sounded loud downstairs, up here it felt like being in a nightclub.