24 | girls night out

L I L Y

L I L Y

Lily found herself in the reading room once again. Remus agreed to meet her there after his afternoon shift, and she couldn't wait to talk to him about We Were Liars, the book he recommended her not long ago. It had been a quicker read than Before I Go to Sleep, Irene's suggestion, so it didn't take her more than three days to finish it.

"Hey, Lily."

She looked up and smiled at Remus' figure that appeared in the doorway. He looked out of breath, his luggage assistant costume clinging to his lanky body, slightly slick with sweat.

"Hot outside?" she asked.

He plopped down on an armchair next to hers and took off his jacket.

"Boiling. Have you not left the resort today?"

She shook her head. "Ira insisted we went to the indoor pool. I wouldn't have complained, you know. I love indoor pools because they're quiet. But she only wanted to go there-"

"Because that's where Sirius' morning shift is?" finished Remus knowingly. Lily nodded. He released a soft laugh. "Well, it seems like you found time to finish the book. Did you like it?"

"I loved it!" exclaimed Lily. "That plot twist had me mindblown!"

"Innit? I was in tears when I was reading the last chapters."

They went on to talk about the book for what felt like hours, but was most probably just twenty minutes. Lily was so engrossed in the discussion, her voice passionate and laced with an animation that she'd adopted from her best friend. She didn't notice the deathly glares that the few other readers in the room shot her and Remus at how loud they were being. When she talked about books, Lily had a habit of spacing out and losing sense of her surroundings.

What interrupted their lively discussion was the ringing of Remus' phone. He took it out of his back pocket and squinted at the screen. It flashed James' name.

"Excuse me for a moment," he said. "Hey, Prongs. Everything alright? . . . No, I'm just hanging out with Lily." He let out a laugh at whatever James said, then turned to her, "He asks when we're starting a book club."

"Whenever you learn how to read," she called into the phone. She could hear James' laughter through the line and it brought a grin to her face.

"You want to meet up?" Remus asked. "Sure, yeah . . . No, I can make it . . . Alright, I'll see you there in five. Bye."

He stood up and grabbed his jacket from the back of his armchair.

"You're leaving?" Lily asked.

"Yeah, James asked to meet up before lunch. He sounded worried."

She frowned. "Is everything okay?"

"I hope so." He gave her a smile and started heading out. "Later, Lily. It's your turn to pick a book now."