14 | heart's cravings

J A M E S

J A M E S

Waking up to a clear blue sky was a rather pleasant surprise for James, who opened his eyes feeling ready to throw on his lifeguard uniform and embrace the day with positivity, something he wouldn't have been able to do had the weather been thunderous and gloomy life a day before. His head ached from all the tequila he drank the previous night and the noisy hours spent in the pub, but he didn't mind.

For the first time in so long, he woke up feeling excited for the day ahead of him. James didn't experience genuine excitement very often anymore. There were certain things he looked forward to, sure-like all the live music nights at Hogwarts that gave him the chance to perform with the band; or spending an evening out in Orlando with Peter, Remus and Sirius, or even throwing himself on the sofa and watching a football match on TV after a long, exhausting day.

But waking up with a spark of enthusiasm in his stomach and a smile ticking at the corners of his lips, wondering what the day would bring for him, was an almost forgotten feeling. One that he certainly remembered having felt before, a wistful feeling that he associated with memories which, though once used to be cheerful, were now nothing but painful to recall.

However, James knew that something was different about today. Something within him had changed, in a way or another. It was a change that he was willing to embrace, for it was a positive one. He allowed a smile to freely dance on his lips as he shaved his stubble in front of the mirror - something that resulted in him accidentally cut himself on the chin.

"Great job, James," he muttered under his breath, rubbing the drops of blood away with his forefinger.

He sprayed some deodorant on his cut, making the sting instantly fade, and then proceeded to get dressed in his red-and-yellow uniform. He checked out his reflection once more in the mirror, running a hand through his lustrous hair which held the rich color of dark coffee beans. He flexed his biceps, contented at how muscular his arms had become. When he made up his mind that he'd had enough of admiring his reflection, he grabbed the keys of his lodge, shoved them in his pocket, and headed out.

Today would be a beautiful day.

"Looking rather jolly today, mate," Sirius said when James reached the pool. He was sitting on James' lifeguard chair, the heel of his left leg propped on the knee of his right one, munching on a chicken sandwich. "Enjoyed last night?"

James gave him a blank look as Sirius wriggled his brows suggestively.

"You're making this sound dirty."

"What?" asked Sirius innocently with his mouth full of food. "I didn't say anything. If your mind twisted my words in a perverted way, that's hardly my fault."