iv. chocolate chip cookies

FOUR; CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

"You think I was too harsh on him?"

Emily Young looked over from where she was mixing her cookie batter, Haven had posed a question to her that was rather out of the blue. The two had been baking together, Haven was the one to suggest activity as before they were simply sitting in Emily and Sam's living room watching crime drama reruns. "What do you mean?"

Haven didn't want to roll her eyes at Emily, she was one of the nicest people she had ever met but her fake ignorance didn't fool the huntress. "You know what I'm talking about. I presume Sam told you about what happened at the wedding, it's probably the hottest gossip between the wolves right now."

Emily continued to mix her batter, adding a few extra chocolate chips as she did so. "Actually no one is really talking about it, Sam only told me because he tells me everything. I think most of them are trying to avoid speaking of it for Jake's sake. He's pretty moody."

"He's okay though, right?" Haven couldn't help herself. Even when she was furious at Jacob her first instinct was to make sure that he was still alright.

Emily shrugged. "He will be, don't regret anything you said, Haven. I don't think you were too harsh on him, he needed to hear it and it would have been worse if you held all those feelings in. Jake might be quite miserable right now but that doesn't mean you have to worry."

"I'm always going to worry," Haven moved to grab a spoon from the drawer and started to scoop Emily's batter onto the baking sheet laid out prior.

"I know the feeling," Emily commented. The both of them always bonded over that fact – that they knew exactly what the other had to go through because of the imprint. It was refreshing to Haven to speak to someone who entirely got it and didn't just sympathize with her situation. Plus Emily made killer cookies.

Haven kept spooning the mixture but her attention was on anything but baking. She wanted to ask more about how Jacob was doing – it had been about a week since the wedding and their fight, which was one sided as Haven yelled at him more than she ever wanted to. Bella and Edward had been gone on their honeymoon for that long as well and Haven realized that without those two and Jacob, she feeling rather lonely which promoted her to hang out at Emily's.

The thing with a group of teenage boys is that you will always hear them before you see them. Haven's heightened hearing didn't help this fact either.

Haven's grip on the spoon tightened at the sound of many people talking about twenty meters from Emily's house, knowing full too well that it was the pack of wolves that most likely included Jacob Black aka the last person she wanted to be in the same room with. Emily noticed the sudden tenseness in Haven's body and it didn't take long for her to catch on. The woman squeezed her shoulder sympathetically before moving to grab the previous batch of cookies out of the oven, she knew there was going to be a stampede of hungry boys rushing through her door.

Embry and Jared were the first two to fling themselves into the house, seemingly in the middle of a small altercation that involved shoving each other. Smiles beamed on their faces as per usual.

"Oh God, Haven is in the kitchen. Better get the ambulance on speed dial." Embry smirked Haven's way as he and Jared entered the kitchen. They both instantly scrambled for the cookies despite the teenagers joke.