ix. a new pack

NINE; A NEW PACK

   Haven hadn't heard Jacob Black howl like that before in her life.

   After the boy was supposed to have convinced Bella to get rid of the fetus growing inside her, Haven had been hanging back with Edward to wait for the result.

   It presumably didn't go well as Haven watched him run outside and phase, aimlessly running throughout the woods in a fit of rage. Haven didn't blame him – Bella made her feel the same way recently.

   Haven was now speeding through the forest, worried to death about what mess Jacob could have got himself into if he was so angry. She had followed his trail along, but it seemed like he wasn't too far away from the Cullen house. He must have returned from somewhere and Haven had a gut feeling that whatever it was couldn't have been good.

   The huntress didn't know how much more bad news she could deal with.

   Haven spotted the boy near a cliffs edge and her heart sunk at the sight of him. He looked visibly upset, tears brimming his eyes as heavy breaths came out of his mouth.

   "What happened?" Haven asked as she approached the upset boy. Her hands stuck to her sides, not sure how to comfort the one person that always comforted her. She realized that it had always been the other way around, now the tables were turned and she didn't quite know what to do.

   Jacob looked surprised by her presence, clearly not paying too much attention as the girl wasn't exactly quiet in speeding her. Noise wasn't her biggest concern when Jacob was out here angry and alone.

   "I couldn't convince her," Jacob admitted in defeat, looking at Haven guiltily. Of course Bella's safety meant the world to him but he also knew how much it meant to the huntress, Jacob's wolf cursed itself for not being able to please her as best he could. "She wouldn't listen to me, I'm sorry."

   Haven had already presumed this had been the case and in all honesty she figured Bella wouldn't have been able to be swayed in her decision as soon as the girl found out about her pregnancy. The huntress let out a low breath. "Okay, well then we have to find another way to keep her alive."

   Jacob looked at the girl again, his face once again filled with guilt. "The pack knows."

   "That was a given in telling you," Haven answered. Her and Edward had already thought of that, telling Jacob was always going to mean the pack would find out. It was a risk they were willing to take. "We already knew it would happen, don't feel bad about it."

   The thing was Jacob still looked guilty, even in Haven reassuring him it was alright.

   "What aren't you telling me?" Haven asked, taking a step towards the boy. Her hand was ghosting over his forearm, not sure if it was appropriate to touch.

   Jacob looked regretful and as he spoke, his voice almost trembled. Whether he was scared or upset, Haven wasn't sure. "Sam ordered them to get rid of the threat. He doesn't know what the child will do once it's born and they want to get rid of it before it's born."

   It dawned on Haven quickly what Jacob was insinuating. "They're going to try and kill, Bella."

   Once Haven had uttered the words, Jacob looked like a weight had lifted off his shoulders. He felt entirely responsible for keeping the wolves away and now that the brunette knew he knew she would help.

   "I won't let them get near her." Haven loved the wolves, they were like another part of her family and it killed the girl to have to utter those words. She didn't want to hurt them, in fact the thought pained her but Haven wouldn't let them kill Bella. That wasn't an option.