viii. devastation

EIGHT; DEVASTATION

   Haven led Jacob to the door of the Cullen household and smiled when Carlisle opened the door for them. He had clearly been informed that Haven was going to get him – most likely from Edward.

   Ever since Haven had stopped her car, Jacob had gone completely silent. He had no clue what was going on but he cared about Bella and the last thing he wanted to walk into was her getting hurt.

   "Can you seriously not tell me what is going on?" Jacob asked Haven desperately as he tried to claw at any clue of what he was walking into. He didn't like being out of the loop, he was prepared to see Bella as a vampire but Haven had already told him that this wasn't the case.

   From inside the living room, Bella's now scratchy voice sounded upon hearing Jacob. "Jake, is that you?"

   "She's here?" Jacob hadn't been expecting to hear Bella's voice let alone see her here. When Haven had said that she wasn't a vampire, Jacob still figured that she was away with Edward.

   Haven nodded at the boy as she lead him up the stairs. This way she could control the pace they went up, the brunette knew that if Jacob had his way he would be bolting up them at full speed.

   "They got back two weeks ago," Carlisle explained to the wolf as he followed behind the two teenagers.

   Haven rounded the corner once up the stairs and wasn't surprised at what she saw. Rosalie stood guard of Bella, right in front of the girl so that only a small part of her face could be seen from where Haven stood. Rosalie's lips looked like they were turning into a snarl and her hands were crossed firmly over her chest.

   Edward stood in the corner, hands in his jean pockets. Haven looked over to him and sent him a small smile, the only chance at convincing Bella to change her mind was now trailing closely behind her.

   Haven moved to the side slightly, allowing Jacob to pass her and get closer to his best friend. The huntress didn't know how he was going to react, but she was positive that it wasn't going to be good. Her feet were planted firmly on the ground and Haven was ready to move if need be, restraining Jacob was something she knew she could do.

   "I'm glad you came," Bella said honestly, although she knew that in the end this was Haven's idea. It was her last plea to get the girl to change her mind.

   Jacob still couldn't see Bella and as he moved a step closer it was Rosalie who inched closer to him menacingly. "Close enough."

   Her clipped tone didn't surprise Haven, it was one that even the blonde vampire had used on her when the huntress had gotten angry. Rosalie was overly protective of the child and Bella at this point in time, they were too vulnerable for her not to be especially with everyone disagreeing with their viewpoint. Much like Haven had done, Jacob didn't cower under her stare or the intimidating voice she used.

   Everyone in the room was tense; Alice and Jasper huddled together and waited, Emmett stood in the corner near Edward, and Esme and Carlisle waited near the door. Everyone was waiting for somewhat of a fight to break out.

   "What's your problem?" Jacob asked the blonde, tilting his head to try and understand whatever was going on.

   "Rose, it's okay," Bella spoke up from behind the vampire.

   Rosalie didn't move however and she eyed Jacob the entire time he walked around the woman. Jacob came to sit on the edge of the coffee table in front of Bella, he quickly noticed her skin paling and the gauntness of her face.