xii. disaster

TWELVE; DISASTER

   "Are you okay?"

   That was the first thing that Haven had the nerve to ask when Jacob walked up the steps to the Cullen household. Edward was right beside her wondering the same thing.

   Only a few minutes ago, Jacob tricked his old pack into talking with him so that Carlisle, Esme and Emmett could go hunting. They were in desperate need of energy so that they could deliver the baby, which Carlisle had said would most likely come sooner rather than later. This put the entire household on edge, the majority of them never leaving Bella's side.

   In the short few days that had passed it had seemed that Edward had come to love the child that his wife carried, much like Haven had. The pair whom were rather determined to change Bella's mind had now joined her, letting her do what she wanted. They were also both determined to raise the child if need be, no questions asked.

   "I think so," Jacob's voice was reasonably quiet as his eyes didn't leave Haven. He needed to focus on her so that his stomach didn't concave due to the guilt he felt for what was just done. Despite not being a part of that pack anymore, it didn't mean that lying and playing them didn't hurt.

   Haven grabbed his hand instantly, her thumb smoothing over the ridges of his knuckles. She tried her best to comfort Jacob although she knew there wasn't much she could do, Haven knew the pack bond was something she could never relate to—it was so strong and unique that only people in it would understand.

   "Thank you." Edward was sincere with his gratitude. The two of them talking seemed like an unreal concept to Haven only a short few months ago.

   "Did they make it out alright?" Jacob asked nervously, referencing to the three Cullen family members who had to get passed his old pack's perimeters.

   Edward nodded. "Yeah."

   Before anything got too hostile, Haven tugged on Jacob's hand to lead him back into the living room where their best friend was located. He smiled gently at the gesture and followed Haven, Edward not far behind them.

   Alice and Rosalie gripped Bella's hands in their own and lifted her off the upright seat she was in.

   Both Haven and Jacob smiled at the sight of Bella. No matter how long the trio had been friends for, they still cared for each other so much that it hurt. They had been with one another through a lot and those feelings of love couldn't just go away due to simple disagreements.

   "Hey, are you okay?" Bella asked the exact same question Haven had to the wolf when she was up on two feet—although she still lent on Rosalie and Alice.

   Jacob shrugged nonchalantly. "Yeah, it's not like I'm the one carrying the demon."

   Haven's elbow dug into his side with that comment causing Jacob to squirm slightly. He missed the days when she was no where near as strong as him, at least then he could get away with sly comments without hurting for the next hour. Haven may come in a pretty package but the girl packed a punch, and a whole lot of vampire strength.

   "This is pretty important, Bella," Rosalie said as she smiled down at the girl whom she now considered a sister. Everyone in the room had figured Haven's elbow in the boy's side was enough punishment for his retort so Rosalie simply moved on. "Why don't you tell Jacob what you have decided?"