Prologue

DAMAGED PIECES:

Don't drag me back down into the pits of darkness; or my devil shall rise and no one will be forgiven.

______________________________________

"You're free to go now, miss."

Those few words that she was so desperate to hear some time ago, finally made it to her ears after a long wait. But she didn't know how to react. She took her own sweet time stepping out of the walls that kept her from the world for years. Even the feel of sunlight was new and welcome then.

She thought of how much she appreciated the sun, the stars, the rain, the very air outside. She saw it all with new eyes. In fact, she saw everything with new eyes. She had collected some ill will towards people, so she mostly stayed away, spoke only as much as needed, avoided temper tantrums, and basically just minded her own business. A loner in the true sense.

As she made her way down the street of her small hometown of Suna, where everyone knew everyone, she knew it. She didn't need to see them do it. She could hear the whispers and tell the gossip was about her. Most of it was exaggerations and lies, she knew. She always ignored it even when it somewhat bugged her. She was used to it by now though.

Having been released from jail, no one cared about your reasons for being there. It was a stamp. Ex-convict. That was what people thought of you. They gossiped about what injustices you must have done to end up in jail. They spoke about you as if they knew everything. The truth was far from what any one of their small minds could contemplate. But it didn't matter.

Yes, Sakura Haruno had been imprisoned for something she did. But now she was out. And she wanted to start anew. But she knew it was easier said than done. Because she knew that whenever she'd take a step forward, she'd be pulled back by two. That was how it went in this society. She would always be the girl who got out of jail. The one who was a hazard to other people's kids. A bad example.

She hurried over to her house and put her stuff down, rushing into the shower. She needed this. She needed to clean herself.

"Sakura dear!", her mother called.
She walked outside and sat beside her on the porch, knowing fully well why she had been called.
"Mom, do I have to?", she gave a resigned sigh.
"It would be a good change, Sak. Besides, there isn't much to do in this town anyway."
"But why Konoha?", she whined.
"Because you have your brother there. He will look out for you. He just wants you to try, Sak."
"But mid semester.."
"Kai has already made all the arrangements. You won't have to waste any more years honey."

Sakura knew there was no winning this. She got up and left to pack her stuff. How bad can the new town be anyway? At least if no one knew she had been to jail, there'd be no gossip to block out.