XXX. Ups And Downs

DAMAGED PIECES : UPS AND DOWNS

Wasted tries, The many whys, Is it the soul of Compromise?
Lows and highs, Believing in lies, In life we have to improvise.
Frustration and cries, The last leg of sighs, You are the dreamer in disguise!
To the guilt say goodbyes, Open your eyes, Your soul - I do so recognize.

Julieanne O'Connor
______________________________________

Sasuke glanced worriedly at the pink haired female beside him. The last thing he wanted was for her to go reverse in the progress she had made. But, she stood to his right, stock still and appalled. When he was a new father, the tiniest of scratches on his daughter made him blame himself till he finally accepted that falling is a part of growing up.

Through his experience, Sasuke had learnt to accept failure as a part of parenting. While he didn't doubt Sakura's mothering ability, he did question how capable a mother she'd be to Sarada in her present state. Kids are curious and touchy and even if easily forgiving, they need to be reassured. Sakura was a new parent. Of course, this would be hard for her but, that was what he was there for.

"Sakura," he shook her gently, getting her attention. "Its okay."

The look she had in her eyes was one Sasuke had seen too many times on his own face. Self-doubt.

"Obviously not," she whispered lowly. "Sarada hates me."

"She doesn't hate you," sighed the girl's father. "She is scared."

Why was it so difficult for the woman to see that? She'd abruptly left them twice during which she was, for reasons he understands fully, not able to communicate with Sarada at all. While his daughter was considerably smarter than the lot, she was still a child. Hell, even an adult who was unaware of a thing going on would question Sakura's motives for abandoning them.

Sarada did run to Sakura and even welcomed her but, it was her next statement that hurt the woman.

"You don't like me, mama? You always leave. You don't even call!"

Sakura had frozen as if she'd been hit by a boulder. Sasuke supposed she had. She probably never considered what effect her fading in and out would have on their young daughter.

"Sarada, come here."

Looking sad, the raven haired girl approached her father. Two fingers tapped her forehead lovingly.

"Aren't you happy your mother is back?"

Sakura watched intently for the small girl's reaction as if her sanity depended on it. Sarada nodded.

"Mama is not happy, papa."

"Well, wherever did you get that idea?"

Sasuke was so good with her, thought Sakura. He wasn't the least bit fazed and he was so calm. Sasuke was an admirable father in her eyes.

"Sara, your mother has just returned from the hospital." Sakura cringed hearing that. The memory was terrible and not something she needed any reminder of. Passing her a reassuring look Sasuke said, "She is tired, Sara. Mama just needs some rest."

Spirits of the five year old lifted. "Really?"

Sasuke nodded and the next thing he knew, Sarada was launching herself into Sakura's arms. Though still shaken, the pinkette hugged the child back with visible relief.

"I am here. I won't leave you. Not anymore."

Watching the girl rush upstairs to play with Tenten, who for some reason came back with Sarada, Sasuke turned to speak to his girlfriend.