XXIII. The Choice Of Parenthood

DAMAGED PIECES:

"Through the blur, I wondered if I was alone or if other parents felt the same way I did - that everything involving our children was painful in some way. The emotions, whether they were joy, sorrow, love or pride, were so deep and sharp that in the end they left you raw, exposed and yes, in pain. The human heart was not designed to beat outside the human body and yet, each child represented just that - a parent's heart bared, beating forever outside its chest."

Debra Ginsberg
______________________________________

On the moonless night, numbly stood the raven-haired man, the doorframe bearing most of his weight, as the girl he'd loved willingly walked away to her own lunacy.

Sasuke knew a rough time would follow but, this was something else entirely. Sarada was still crying in his best friend's arms, struggling to escape his grip and follow her mother. And there wasn't a thing he could do for either the receding back of the pink haired girl or his daughter. It felt like the most helpless moment of his life.

"Sasuke.." the concerned voice of Naruto reached his ears right after the sound of an engine that was taking her away. The raven man didn't bother turning his head. His eyes waited to find something on the now empty road.

His name was called again, but the man couldn't be bothered to turn around. He waited on the empty road. And then, it came. The short view of a white van belonging to a certain mental institution, passing by the road, taking her to her doom. His heart clenched but he couldn't say it. He couldn't show his pain, fear or anger before a sobbing daughter who needed him.

He waited for a few more minutes to gather himself. Then, before his eyes wettened from watching a hopeless road, he turned around and shut the door behind him.

"Sara," he patted her head.

"Papa," she wailed and Sasuke took her from Naruto's arms and into his. "Mumma.."

"Shhh, all's going to be well, Sarada. Mumma is coming back soon. She is gone to a hospital."

Sarada calms down some. "Hospital?"

Sasuke didn't want to lie. He couldn't lie to his little girl. He desperately looked over to his best friend.

"Sarada, your mother is not well. They are going to t-treat her and return her to you," Naruto lied. Giving a child false hope was criminal but, what else could they do? They themselves were hanging by a thread of hope.

Sasuke immediately put his daughter in Naruto's care and stormed to his room. Once the door was shut, his back pressed against it. His head dipped and fists clenched. He was furious. He was disappointed and scared for her.

About fifteen minutes later, Naruto came knocking on his door. Reluctantly, Sasuke opened it and seated himself on his bed. The blonde man crossed his arms and glared.

"What do you want, Naruto?"

"For you to not sulk."

Sasuke looked away, gripping the bedsheets in his fist.

"That's it? That's all you're gonna do?"

"I just.." Sasuke trailed off. He didn't want to explain his emotions. He couldn't.

"Sasuke, I've watched you both dance around each other for the past year. Even I can tell you had something rare with her. Now that she's in jeopardy, I don't understand how you - of all people - are wasting time sulking. Are you really going to let her go so easily?"

*

A day earlier...

She felt a warm, soft compress on her neck and her eyes immediately closed to his touch.