Chapter 9: The Truth In Their Eyes

Sakura and Sasori sat by the lake as they ate their lunch away from the Akatsuki base. "How was your mission, Onii-san?" Sakura asked as she took a bite on her tempura. "It went well, as usual." Sasori said nonchalantly. Sakura nodded. She would have interrogated Sasori had she not known long ago that Akatsuki missions would always be top secret, even to her though she really doesn't care. She just wants her brother back to her safe, sound and unscathed but when Sasori recently came back from his previous solo mission, he had a nasty sword wound on his side at which Sakura immediately ran for to heal. For someone to make a scratch on her brother, the offender must have been really tough. 

"Onii-san, it's almost spring surely there would be Spring Festivals around. Why don't we go there sometime?" Sakura said hoping she would have more time with her brother before his next mission. "Ofcourse." Sasori replied, giving a small smile as he remembered the last Spring Festivals he went to with Sakura in the past few years. She had been grinning from ear to ear as she meddled with a few other people and he couldn't help but smile as well just by seeing Sakura's happiness. It was a good thing no one could recognize him in those villages, especially since he was wearing a yukata almost identical to Sakura's.

Unbeknownst to them, someone who hid their prescence quite well had been watching them from a far. Itachi stood by a tree as he watched the adoration and love evident in Sasori's eyes watching Sakura talk about something. 

Itachi secretly admitted to himself that he was jealous of Sasori and Sakura for being together. He was having that feeling towards them but that wouldn't waver the care and need to protect them and he wouldn't let anything separate them again. How could he not when he knows exactly what it feels to be separated from your sibling whom you've given up everything for and besides, he and Sasori had been best friends back then.

Itachi had been a witness to Sasori's misery in the years they were separated. Sasori really was a lifeless doll back then. He was also a witness to Sasori's change when they got reunited. The red-head became more lively, Itachi could see it in his eyes. The way it would lite up when Sakura was near and the obvious love. He could clearly see it. Maybe it was because the love was too great to hide or they had been best friends for long that would explain why he could clearly see it in Sasori's eyes.

A kunai hit the tree like a dart. Sasuke was getting impatient. Karin's words rang in his ears. He seriously needed to find Sakura now. 

Sakura had died.

Sakura had died.

Sakura had died.

Sakura had died. 

He was going mad thinking over and over again about Sakura. 

"It just prolongs a life that had been lost." Karin's voice resounded in his mind again. He punched a nearby tree as it fell backwards stifly. 

Uchiha Sasuke had killed Haruno Sakura two years ago. He had killed Sakura, but no matter how unintentional it was, he still did it. Karin had explained the side effects of the jutsu and that would have explained Sakura's change. 

Maybe Sakura didn't go back to Konoha because her brother had been keeping her alive all these years? Or maybe they're forcing her to stay? Those thoughts immediately vanished when Sasuke remembered the way Sasori would look at Sakura. Those thoughts over the hedge were definitely not the answer. There must have been something else. 

Sakura may be physically strong but her heart is a whole different story. Even if she wants to hold on, she couldn't if her heart gives out. She can't be tired out. The jutsu can't keep her heart beating and Sasuke doesn't know how long the jutsu will prolong her life. He doesn't know how long Sakura will hold on...