A blinded past

I watched her with unreadable eyes, my eyes in a mask; purposely concealing the pain I felt as she glared at me with pure hatred. She jabbed a finger towards my direction and I could feel the knife stabbing deeper into my heart.

‘I can’t believe you’d do this to me Holly!’ she shrieked at me, her green eyes bulging out of their sockets and they were soon tearing up. For a split second, I moved forward and was about to hug her but then I remembered she was angry at me. ‘I thought you were a good friend! You killed him! Bitch, you killed him! This is all your fault!’

I grimaced as I felt another stab to my chest, pain stricken across my face and she faltered for awhile but then her anger ruled her mouth. She was my bestfriend, my sister and I understand why she hated me. I caused her boyfriend to die. I caused her life to crumple into pieces.

She wanted to live a good life.

And being her bestfriend, I ruined everything. I understand.

I briefly looked at her and pain ran through me again, I couldn’t look at her anymore. A brief sob escaped my parched lips and I swiftly turned, hiding my face from view. Strangers pushed past me and the sound of rush hour blaring around me.

‘I’ll never forget this Holly,’ I heard as she called out behind me. ‘Never!’ A sob escaped my lips as my chest constricted in pain and I forced my legs to move, her last word kept repeating in my head as I walked past people, making sure I hid my tears from everyone. That was when my life changed.

That was when I hated myself so much.

‘Baby, that’s the salt,’ my mum pointed out to me and my hand faltered as I was reaching out to it. ‘Sugar’s just beside it.’ I silently thanked her as I shift my hand a little to the left and raise it a little to grasp the spoon. I pushed my cup of coffee towards it and began pouring sugar.

‘So, I’m guessing you’re skipping today’s session?’ she asked rather than stated while I sipped my coffee. I was careful not to choke and I kept my face impassive, well I hoped I looked impassive as I tried figuring out how she knew that I tend to skip the sessions.

It’s not as if I liked them.

‘Mum, it’s not as if they’re helping me in any way,’ I tried pointing out to her. I don’t know what her reaction at my words was but I’m guessing that she’s glaring at me and rolling her eyes at my weak defence. ‘Besides, I’m perfectly good.’

I heard her sigh and she was about to say something but then a doorbell cut her off. I grinned as I was literally saved by the bell and hoped off the stool before grabbing my bag, making my way around so she can kiss me goodbye. She gripped my face a little bit tightly and I knew she was staring at my eyes.

I heard her sigh again and patted my cheek before letting me go. ‘Bye Mum! Have fun at work!’ I called out behind me as I made my way towards the front door. It’s going to be a normal school day I told myself sternly, normal school day.

The front door opened before I reached and I felt a strong pair of arms wound around me, a face leaning onto my head. I smiled at the familiar scent and I brought my arms around him, sighing as I leaned my face onto his chest.