A blinded surprise

‘Holly, that’s not the mayonnaise,’ I heard Alexis tell me and I felt her hand grab it out of my hand and press another one to me. ‘You were about to pour tabasco.’ I flushed and thanked her before squeezing a reasonable amount of mayonnaise onto my steak and paying the cashier. Together, with Jeremy tagging along behind, we made our way towards an empty table.

‘I see you’ve already made a whole band of fans at the first day of school,’ Alexis pointed out suddenly as we sat down. For a moment, I had no idea what she was talking about but then Jeremy chuckled at her words.

‘Jealous much Alexis?’ Jeremy asked.

‘I don’t need to be jealous Jeremy, I have my own already thank you very much,’ she said and began eating. I just kept quiet as I listen in on their unusual banter, eating my own steak in silence.

As I stuffed myself with tomato and pieces of steak, I felt a strong pair of arms around me and I shrieked, choking as I tried to comprehend who just hugged me from behind. I smelled a familiar scent and then a familiar chuckle before I felt a peck on my cheek. ‘Kenny! You scared me!’ I exclaimed and pouted at him.

He laughed again and leaned down, resting his chin on my shoulder. ‘How was school Holly bear?’ he asked me, his lips just beside my ear. ‘I hoped no one tried to bully you on the first day.’

I pouted at him again. ‘Well there was one girl…’ I trailed off and then I remembered I had two people sitting with me. Flushing, I squirmed under his hug. ‘Kenny, I made some friends!’ I said and waved my arm out to my two friends who I think might be staring at us with shocked expressions.

Kenny chuckled again and let go of me to stand behind me. ‘Alexis, Jeremy, this is Kenny Hummel. My best friend in the whole world,’ I explained enthusiastically. A hand rested on my shoulder and felt him lean over as he shook hands with Jeremy and Alexis.

‘Nice to meet you two,’ Kenny said with an easy smile and he slid onto the seat beside me. I continued eating my favourite steak, stuffing myself. ‘Slow down Holly, you’ll choke!’ Kenny pointed out to me with a frown in his voice. He acts so protective some time so I tried following his order, purposely chewing slowly and dramatically which made him laugh.

‘So, how long were you guys best friends?’ I heard Alexis ask Kenny, bringing his attention away from me for once. ‘I initially thought you two were a couple! A cute one at that though!’

Kenny chuckled as I coughed at her words. ‘We were bestfriends since kindergarten,’ he said cheerfully. ‘People tend to mistake us for that; too bad she’s way out of my league.’ And with that, he purposely nudged me on my ribs earning laughter from both of my friends.

‘He prefers girls that can actually run a mile without breaking a sweat,’ I said in a stage whisper. ‘But these days, not many can do that.’ Kenny jabbed his elbow into my ribs and I dropped my utensils, yelping in pain. I growled at him and jabbed my elbow onto his lap, the part where it hurts most. He jumped a foot off the bench, making everyone laugh at him.

‘Oh you’re going to get it Holly bear,’ he threatened me and grabbed me by the waist, throwing me over his shoulder with ease. Being a running back for his high school, he was very strong and he carried me like as if I weighed nothing. I shrieked at the sudden change and yelled at him, cursing at him to put me back down.