A blinded sideline

Two years ago, the start of senior year.

Kenny and I arrived in school early for some reason. I didn’t know why I managed to get up earlier than I was used to and had Kenny drag me bodily towards his car. We drove off towards school, singing Taylor Swift’s song titled The Story of Us. I think we came school early is because I had a performance in the school’s auditorium, I had to perform that song we were singing.

When we arrived, the other three people in the band who were performing with us were already there. Sam, Nelly and Christina greeted us happily, hugging and laughing at each other. All of us were seniors and we basically grew up together. I grabbed the guitar case and the five of us quickly headed to the auditorium to set up.

We arrived at the stage, breathing heavily since we ran all the way because some idiot who goes by the name Kenny gave a dare that the last person to be on stage would be paying lunch for the five us. Knowing each other, we eat a lot so whoever had to pay would be broke. Eyeing each other, we bolted down the hallway and pushed each other, screaming and yelling at each other, calling names. We rock as seniors.

‘This is all your fault Kenny,’ Christina muttered as she heaved for air. ‘Come on, let’s practice before the school arrives here. I want my piano!’ She sang out the last sentence in glee as she made her way towards the piano. We rolled our eyes at her, other than me, she was a great pianist.

Sam and Kenny were the guitarists; I was the vocalist and also playing the semi-acoustic guitar. Nelly was the drummer. The five of us had been jamming together since freshmen year so we knew each other’s strengths and weaknesses. It was the first day of school and we were told to perform for the school, letting them unwind and relax since there would be first years too.

We spent about most of our holidays jamming together, messing around with songs and practicing for the upcoming event. I placed the semi on the floor and grabbed the mike from Sam. He was my back-up vocalist for some reason and I placed the mike on the back of my head, pushing the front part so it rests on my ears. The thin mike ran along the side of my jaw and the bud rests next to my lips.

The rest of the band was busy testing the volume and the sound quality. I grabbed the semi-acoustic and took off the cover, throwing it at the curtains so people couldn’t see. Placing the thunder-patterned strap on my shoulders, I connected the jack towards the amp located at the back.

I turned around and waited for the two boys to finish setting up. We took around fifteen minutes to tune the guitars and taking note the sound coming out of the amp, making sure it wasn’t scratchy and static. We played a test run, playing one or two songs, having fun and messing around on the stage with me singing. Nelly gave us two thumbs up and grinned-getting a green light from the leader.

After we played the songs, the school bell had already rung. All of the students would be making their way towards the homeroom. From there, the teachers would direct them towards the auditorium where we would perform for them. Since it’s the first day, it wasn’t required for the students to bring any learning materials.

‘Well, I’m glad we are performing today. Beats sitting in homeroom and staring into space,’ Nelly spoke from his perch behind the drum set. ‘I can’t believe we’re seniors already. I feel old!’