Chapter 14

"I don't know if I'm surprised both of the Earthlings made it into the Knighthood," Alextor said.

Lanclor followed his lead and didn't see the point of bringing up their latest argument. He knew Alextor would never change his mind and he'd be stuck investigating with the Royal Guard. He'd never get anything done if he spent all of his free time dealing with others' problems on top of his own.

"Well, I'm sure that I'm surprised they made it. Hal seems to be a quick learner with weaponry, but Lady Kathryn is merely adequate. I heard Jakara complaining yesterday about her hiding her magical ability from him for all these weeks. There are rumors that she taught a good portion of the new knights how to perform the spells. This is a record number of new recruits for one session."

"I don't remember it ever being this high." Alextor glanced into the ballroom, briefly illuminating the dark circles beneath his eyes. "A part of me thinks it wouldn't have been as high if, as you said, Lady Kathryn hadn't worked with everyone. I think we should keep an eye on her. With her Sights and her rumored leadership, she could be a powerful knight indeed. I know we haven't always seen eye to eye, but I would appreciate it if you could keep an eye on her. She's already saved my life and yours and I'd hate for anything to happen to her. I would help her to get home myself as repayment, if we knew how to activate the Portal."

Great, now he had to babysit on top of everything else. "Well, we know how to activate it; we just don't know the location of the orb." The noise inside changed as people were ushered to their tables for the feast.

"The Council has it, I suspect. When we used it last time, I'm sure it was a councilor under that gray robe. I don't understand why they no longer honor the tradition of opening the gate every half century anymore." Lord Alextor shook his head as he turned to enter the hall. "We've learned so much about our ancestors and we're in dire need of some new horses."

"I don't believe the Grayrobe's reasoning," Lanclor said with suspicion, "he said it was no longer safe to open the portal because of plague and increased violence. I didn't get the impression from Hal and Kathryn that there was any type of sickness there."

"I didn't get that impression either, but the Keeper has the right to refuse the trip."

They both remained silent. Lanclor didn't know what else to say that wouldn't create tension. Lord Alextor was the leader of the Knighthood and Lanclor his second in command. They rarely disagreed, but lately it seemed as though they couldn't agree on anything. Alextor claimed that Lanclor's anger at the world had grown over the cycles and he didn't know what to do to suppress it. Perhaps in time Lanclor would allow himself to be happy, but he did Bear the Destructor. Right now, he didn't have the luxury of being happy.