Chapter 39

A knock sounded upon Borith's door. "Enter."

"Sir, I'm sorry to disturb you, but we've had some unfortunate news about the mercenary company hired to take care of those knights."

"Proceed."

"It appears they took it upon themselves to kidnap another knight. The word is that they tortured him and were asking about an orb. They were discovered by another mercenary company loyal to the knights and have been eliminated."

He stood abruptly, his chair crashing backwards to the floor. "What? The fools! Why would they take the wrong knight and why would they be asking about an orb?" He never mentioned anything about the Orb to them. "Something doesn't add up here."

"I agree, sir, so I took the liberty of finding out if they had another contract. I believe it was only a coincidence, sir. It appears someone on the Council hired the same mercenary company as you, but told them to find an orb no matter the cost. The fee was double the one you paid them to do the other contract, so that may be why they chose to fulfill the Councilor's contract first.

"The mercenary company loyal to the knights is rumored to have warned the three knights in question about the contract on their heads. Since they've been warned it will be difficult, if not impossible, to take them out in the near future."

Could this day get any worse? "Good work on this. I don't like what I've heard, but it's something that I needed to know. Pull all of the contracts back. We'll lay low for a few months, and then try again. I've waited cycles for revenge; a few months longer are of no consequence."