Chapter 23

"Lady Kathryn, I'm going to say this as your friend and I hope you don't take it the wrong way." Elena stopped her chores and looked down at Kathryn. "You look awful. Have you been getting enough sleep?"

"Do I really look that bad?" Kathryn rubbed her eyes and continued to poke at the large beetle on the floor. It would turn around and run the other way whenever she poked it. The mouse's tail lashed out from beneath the bed and pinned the beetle to the floor.

Elena smiled.

"Well, I feel exhausted. I have so many things to do every day that I end up dreaming about them. So, I basically work while I'm sleeping, too. I don't think I've had a decent night's sleep in a month." Kathryn stroked the mouse's back as it devoured the beetle.

"You need to find something to do that relieves your thoughts of the day. Do you ever have any fun?" Elena asked in a worried voice.

"Fun? What's that? Sir Lanclor has given me yet another task. I'm supposed to train a mare to be a knight's mount. On top of that, the horse is telepathic, arrogant and hates humans. That's just one more task that takes up my time. I have no time for fun anymore. On my off days, I'm so exhausted I don't feel like doing anything." Kathryn placed her head in her hands. She had never felt so frustrated.

"Well, what about reading? I remember when I first met you, you mentioned you missed reading. I'm not talking about that dull stuff in the library, either. I'm talking about a real story, maybe one with a little romance and adventure. I can let you borrow some of mine if you'd like." Elena stood with her hands on her hips.

"I miss reading stories. I've read so many spell books I almost forgot there was another reason to read—enjoyment. It's ironic, but I used to love reading fantasy books—knights, dragons, wizards. Now, that's too much like real life. Yes, I'd like to try reading some of your stories. Do you have a favorite?"

"Oh, yes. I have one which will make your heart flutter, but still maintains an intelligent storyline. I'll bring it by tomorrow when I get the linens and leave it on your desk. You need to read at least a chapter before bed every night. It will help your mind relax and you'll feel more rested. In the meantime, my mother made this book." Elena handed her a thick book bound in leather.

Kathryn opened the leather binding and stared in awe. Hand-drawn illustrations depicted the animals of Av'lor with their names on the adjacent pages. The names were from Earth, but the pictures were as alien as the mouse. She flipped to the dragon that looked nothing like the expected winged serpent, but a dog-like creature with wings. The only animals that matched their names were dogs and horses. "Why do these animals have those names if they don't look anything like them?"

"My mother said she suspected the first human settlers labeled the animals with Earth names since they had no idea what else to call them. They brought the horses and dogs from Earth, but the dogs died out quite a while ago." Elena gathered her things and stood at the door.

"Thank you, Elena. I don't think you realize how much you've helped me and I don't mean having a clean room. I'll let you know what I think of your books." Kathryn smiled as Elena bid her goodbye and left. The red mouse curled itself next to her foot and fell asleep.

"Oh Dargo, I miss you," Kathryn mumbled to herself.

Kathryn had spoken to the stable master and he had agreed to let her be in charge of feeding the mare. A female stable hand would groom her until Kathryn knew how to do it herself. She had learned to care for another horse on her own for a week when the stable master finally had given her permission to assume full responsibility. It was a chore she didn't look forward to since the mare had made no other attempt to speak to her.