Chapter 44

Lanclor watched Hal approach and decided on his course of action. There was no point in keeping everything a secret. Lady Kathryn had made her intentions clear and he wasn't going to dishonor her. Stepping forward, he met Hal's advance.

Hal startled and ceased his progress. "Hey. I'm sorry, but I didn't realize anyone else was in here with Kate." He backed up allowing Lanclor to step into the dim light emanating from the light globe over the desk beyond the bookshelves. "My name's Hal and you are?"

Lanclor realized Hal hadn't ever seen him without his helmet. "I believe we've already been introduced, Hal." Lanclor raised his black wings and watched recognition enter Hal's eyes.

"Sir Lanclor. I didn't recognize you." He glanced back at Lady Kathryn, his eyes sliding to her neck where Lanclor's stubble had rubbed a red streak against her milky skin. The blush on Lady Kathryn's cheeks matched her neck. Hal tore his gaze from her and looked at Lanclor with wide eyes.

"That's okay, Hal, I wouldn't expect you to." Lanclor suppressed a smile. "Lady Kathryn and I were just leaving. You should get some sleep before the battle. Be safe, Hal."

Lanclor held his arm out to Kathryn and she gripped it in a daze. They headed toward the exit.

"Um, be safe." Hal muttered behind them.

A short while later Lanclor lay with Lady Kathryn in his private quarters. In several hours, they would need to put on their armor and head to battle. They both needed to get some rest. With one of her legs over his and her breasts against the left side of his chest, he felt at peace for the first time in a decade.

"I wish you would have just told me who you were weeks ago," Kathryn's tired voice mumbled.

Lanclor knew how she felt. If he could experience more than just one night of this, he could die happy. "I do too." They couldn't change the past even with magic. "Get some sleep. You'll need your energy in the morning."

"Mmmhmm." Her hand twitched against his chest as her breathing evened. Lanclor smiled with the sound of her soft snore and allowed his mind to drift.

Hours later, he awoke to a familiar voice inside his head.

Lanclor? Are you awake?

"Lak'oth ar'vat," Lanclor whispered the Communication spell. I am now, Alextor.

Oh, I'm sorry to wake you. I wanted to go over the attack plan with you one more time before you leave.

Kathryn sighed and snuggled closer against him. Her hair tickled his chest and he reached up to feel its softness against his fingertips. I'm a little busy right now. How much longer do we have?

About two hours. What do you mean you're busy? I thought you were sleeping, before I woke you up that is...

Lanclor smiled. Give me a half hour and I'll meet you in the war room.

Okay. I expect a full report.

Lanclor snorted and felt Kathryn start with the sudden motion of his chest.

"What's going on?" she muttered as she pulled her hand away from his chest to tuck her hair behind her ear.

He covered her hand with his after she put it back on his chest over his heart. "Lord Alextor wants to go over the battle plans. We'll be leaving in a couple of hours."

Kathryn laced her fingers through his and squeezed before responding. "I need to get going. I want to look through my notes before we leave. Maybe there's a spell I missed." She pushed herself up so she was looking down upon him. She leaned down and gave him a gentle kiss, pulling away just enough to break the contact between their lips. "I'll find a way."

Lanclor reached up and caressed her cheek with the back of his hand. "I'll see you in a couple hours. Be safe, Kate."

"Be safe, Lan."

He closed his eyes in satisfaction. That name upon her lips showed she had accepted who he was. His birth name was Matthis, but now he was the Soulbearer, Lanclor.