Chapter 20

As she landed on her back for the tenth time, Kathryn began to dislike Hal.

"Why, Lady Kathryn, you seem to have fallen down again. May I help you up?" he said as he offered his hand with a huge grin.

"I only keep falling down because you already know how to defend yourself. You act like having a black belt in karate isn't a factor in these exercises." She glared as he continued to grin.

"These exercises are nothing like karate, but I'm sure my karate experience plays a big role in why I kick your ass every time we're paired up. Don't take it personally, Kate. You kick my ass when we pair up for anything magic-related."

That was true. No matter the knight, she managed to defeat all of her classmates when it came to magic. She had not yet challenged any of the higher ranked knights or instructors. That wasn't the coward's way out, but her instinct for survival. They had some friends among the other knights, but the majority only saw Hal and her as outsiders who had no right to join the order in the first place. Her white wings only made things worse.

If she went anywhere without some type of wing-covering cloak, people stared at her and whispered behind their hands. With that and her gray eyes, she would never fit in here. Hal, still with dark gray wings and brown eyes, could pass for a native here if it wasn't for his rosy outlook on life. He had to be one of the most optimistic people she'd ever met. Given that almost all of the people on this world were pessimistic, he stuck out in a crowd if he uttered a single positive sentence.

"Lady Kathryn, I would like to speak with you," Sir Lanclor said as he came up behind them.

She nodded to him, brushed herself off, and excused herself from Hal's victory celebration of his hand-to-hand fighting prowess.

Sir Lanclor gestured for her to walk beside him. "I've heard that you had a large dog back home. You're also patient when you're teaching others. I have an animal I'd like you to look at. I'll be blunt, or more blunt than usual. You're the only female knight who isn't afraid of large animals. I'll think of some reward if you're able to tame this mare." They had stopped in the knight barn in front of a stall containing a large white mare. The mare glanced at Sir Lanclor with an aggressive look. "She only seems to trust women. She's all yours." He turned to walk away.

"Hey, wait a minute, Sir. I don't know much about horses. How am I supposed to do this?"

"I have no idea. You'll have to think of something that nobody else has tried. I'd recommend wearing your armor." She heard him chuckle as he walked away.

The mare eyed Kathryn as she approached her. She removed her helmet to get a better look. The mare seemed startled at first, but seemed to relax when she saw that Kathryn was a female. Kathryn extended her hand and placed it upon the mare's forehead. When she saw that the horse wasn't going to hurt her, she began gently to stroke her nose.

That feels nice. Now do my neck.

Kathryn began to stroke her neck before she fully realized what had just happened. The mare had spoken to her somehow. It was similar to the Communication spell, but she didn't sense the use of magic.

Kathryn tried using the Communication spell upon the mare. Can you understand me?

The mare seemed startled at first, but then seemed to relax. Of course I can, human. There's no need to shout. You humans are such loud creatures. Always making noise and trying to get attention. You think you can ride us anytime you want, your own personal slaves. You may be able to enslave my poor dumb cousins, but I'll never yield to you if I don't feel like doing something. Brush my mane now.

Kathryn realized that the white mare was intelligent, but arrogant. The mare expected Kathryn immediately to respond to her command, which if she wasn't aware of the telepathy, she would have done subconsciously. The mare complained about her enslavement, but expected Kathryn to respond to her orders as if she was her slave. She wasn't sure if the horse was a hypocrite or just ignorant.

The bond between a human and a horse wasn't slavery, but a relationship built upon mutual need, or so she heard on television. The horse provided their transportation while they provided the horse with food, shelter and grooming. Perhaps someone had abused the mare, so she believed only what her experience had shown her.

I don't choose to brush your mane. I'm not your slave either, so I will also not yield to you if I don't want to do something. Horses are not the slaves of humans, but their friends. You allow us to ride you and we take care of your needs. It's a relationship based upon mutual respect.

Mutual respect, oh please, the mare snorted with contempt. I have no respect whatsoever for humans. I tolerate the females, but that's only because they're lighter and I have to get some exercise or I'll die of boredom. I've tired of your company. You may go now. She turned her back toward Kathryn and began to munch on her grain.

Kathryn scowled at the mare. Nobody treated her like that, let alone a four-legged animal. You, horse, are arrogant and ignorant. You base all of your knowledge upon what you've experienced. You never consider what knowledge others possess that may be beyond yours. You're selfish and un-useful since you refuse to cooperate with anyone and expect everyone to do everything you want. Kathryn turned and walked out of the barn while the mare remained silent.