Chapter 26

Borith had missed his opportunity. Now Lanclor's guard would be up. Lanclor wasn't nearly as powerful as he was, but that Earthling had more than enough to make up for what he lacked. He had to strike when they weren't together or take her out of the picture altogether. That bitch would be dead soon and then he'd have his revenge.

A knock sounded upon his door before his master admitted himself. "You took an unnecessary risk yesterday. Not only did you fail, but you also made her realize she can counter our attacks. I told you not to do anything without my permission. I should kill you for your insubordination," his master's voice was deathly low, dripping with disdain. "You cannot let your personal vendetta get in the way of our goal."

"I'm sorry, master. I just couldn't resist." The words slid from his mouth with a bitter taste.

"Silence! You'll learn to control your desires or you'll regret it. We need to get her out of the picture so we can continue. I feel that she's a grave threat to all that we stand for. Our salvation is almost in sight. We just need to obtain the Orb from whoever has it, and then we'll have everything we need to open the Portal and claim Earth. I won't let some incompetent apprentice ruin everything on a childish whim."

Borith played his part, bowing his head, begging for forgiveness. The Master thought he had the upper hand, but he was sadly mistaken. Borith would let him do all of the work, then claim his rightful place when the Portal opened.

"So, you've guaranteed our commission by the Knighthood?" the burly smith asked suspiciously.

Borith remained standing against the wall, an intimidating shadow behind his master.

"Of course you're guaranteed the commission. Who else but the Smith's Guild would be asked to replenish the Knighthood's weaponry?" Borith's master said with contempt.

"Excellent. Now, about the information you wanted. I think we found something you might be interested in."

His master didn't disguise the impatience in his voice. "What is it?"

"We believe we know how the Orb was stolen. One of the Council, Melekir, stole it from the chamber himself. He sold it to another, but we were unable to find out whom. I'm sure if you ask him nice, he'll tell you all about it. Is that information adequate to settle our arrangement?" The smith swayed from foot to foot.

"Yes, it's adequate, but be warned. If you've created this story like you create your swords, I'll cut off your hands and make you watch other men make swords for the rest of your short life."

Borith smiled. He didn't doubt his master was capable of such a thing.

The blacksmith cowered. "The story is genuine. I don't lie."

"Very well. Then be on your way and enjoy your new commission."