one

ERICA REYES SIGHED to herself, looking in her purse and only seeing three dollars

ERICA REYES SIGHED to herself, looking in her purse and only seeing three dollars. That wasn't nearly enough to get through the day, but that's what jobs were for. Erica made a mental note to ask for an extra shift from her asshole boss.

Erica worked at the diner, and it was hell. But it kept the lights on, literally. Erica's father was barely ever around, so it was just her supporting her little sister. I know your next question, what about her mom? Well, no one really knows where Erica's mom is. She ran off when Erica was three. And even when she was around, she wasn't. She was at home so little, that if Erica saw her in the city, she'd never recognize her.

Erica closed her purse, and looked at her younger sister. "You working late again?" Malia asked.

Malia and Erica were very close in age. Erica was fourteen, and a freshman in high school, and Malia was thirteen, in eighth grade.

"If I can, yes." Erica said sighing. "I'm sorry, Mal, but it's what I have to do."

"As soon as I become of age to work, I'll be right beside you." Malia said, turning to go to school. "I love you, Erica."

"I love you too, Mal."

ERICA RUSHED INTO the school, she was about to be late. She had already been late four times this month, and if she was late one more time it would result in her getting a detention. And if she got a detention, she wouldn't be able to work. If she wasn't able to work, she would get fired. If she got fired, she would get put into an orphanage with or without her sister. And she did not want to be in an orphanage.

"I'm here!" She exclaimed, running into her history class.

"You're late, Miss Reyes." Mr. Matthews said.

"No I'm not." Erica challenged, pointing to the bell, that stayed silent. "Man, I hate it when that happens. But I'm not late, the bell hasn't—" She was cut off by the bell ringing. "See."

"Take a seat." Mr. Matthews told her. Erica sat in her normal seat behind Zay Babineaux.

"That was quite a show you put on there." Zay told Erica.

"I'll do anything to avoid a detention." Erica joked.

"That's one thing we have in common." Zay said.

"I'm Erica." She said, smiling at Zay.

"I'm Zay." He replied.

"FANCY RUNNING INTO you here." Zay said, plopping down next to Erica at lunch later that day.

"Why are you sitting with me?" Erica asked him.

"Because we're friends now! And you weren't sitting with anyone else, so as your friend, it's my duty to keep you company."

"Whatever you say." Erica said. "What about the rest of the core six? If you're here, does that mean they're coming here too?"

"They're my friends, so yes." Zay said.

"Hi!" Riley said, opposite to Erica. "I'm Riley."

"Hi Riley, I'm Erica."

"Are you new here?" Riley asked.

"No, I've been going to school with you since kindergarten." Erica informed her.

"Oh." Riley said. "I'm sorry."

"That's okay." Erica said, pursing her lips. "It happens a lot."

The rest of the core six except for one filed into the lunch table, introducing themselves as Farkle, Smackle, and Lucas. Erica of course knew who they were, but she didn't want to seem creepy, so she just pretended she didn't.

"Sup." Maya said, sitting down.
She looked up, and noticed that sitting in front of her was Erica Reyes from her building. Erica and Maya used to be inseparable, but then Maya heard someone singing on a day Erica was sick, and started talking to the little girl singing more and more, and Erica less and less. They really lost touch in middle school, when Riley rubbed off on Maya the most. Erica and Maya used to cause trouble around their neighborhood together, but it all suddenly came to a stop, and Erica never knew why.

"Hi Maya." Erica said.

"Do you two know each other?" Riley asked.

Erica opened her mouth to say something, but was cut off by Maya. "Just someone I used to know."

"Hey." Erica's best friend, Brandon, or better known as Rebel in middle school, sat down. "What's with all the people?" He asked, in his thick, New Jersey accent.

Erica shrugged. "They just sat down."

"And we're not leaving." Zay said, causing Erica to slam her head against the table. Erica liked them, but it was no secret that all of them—even Maya—were quite peppy, too peppy in Erica's opinion.

"Great." Maya and Brandon said.