thirteen

MAYA KNEW SOMETHING was wrong the moment both Katy and Shawn walked into her room

MAYA KNEW SOMETHING was wrong the moment both Katy and Shawn walked into her room. She quickly locked her phone and gave them her full attention.

"What happened?" Maya asked concerned.

Katy looked at the ground. "Babygirl, I can't believe I have to tell you this." She said. "Your friend Erica, took her own life."

Maya stared at her mother, stone faced. "What?" She asked.

"Erica took her own life." Shawn repeated, putting his hand over Maya's.

"Oh." Maya said, looking at her feet.

"It's okay if you want to cry." Katy reassured her daughter.

"I don't feel like crying." Maya said.

"Well, she left this for you." Shawn said, handing Maya a note.

Maya,

Hey, M. Remember that game we used to play when we were little? I don't remember what we called it, but we had to go up to strangers and convince them to buy us stuff. And whoever got more stuff, won. That was not a smart game to play. We probably should've gotten kidnapped.

Anyway, Maya, you are without a doubt my best friend. You know me better then anyone knows me, which is why I should give you an explanation. No one else got this.

I did this because I couldn't handle it. I couldn't handle the pressure of everything. I just snapped. I needed to be out. And I'm sorry that this happened. I really didn't want it to end this way. I wanted you me and Riley to graduate high school together, marry dreamy triplets, and then live our lives next door from each other. But, God had a different plan for me.

And I want you to know that I'm okay. And I want you to know that it's okay for you to not be okay. You are the strongest girl I know, and I admire you so much for that.

I love you, Maya.

Sincerely,
Erica Reyes

Maya reread the letter, and fell to the floor sobbing.

Katy came rushing in when she heard her daughter's cries. "Baby, it's okay." Katy said, crying along with Maya. "She's happy now. Erica's finally happy."