nine

SMACKLE WENT HOME to find her parents sitting on the couch, waiting for her

She noticed her father's hand was on her mother's knee, comforting her as she was crying.

"Mom? Dad?" She asked. "What's going on?"

Mr. and Mrs. Smackle stood up and shared a glance before her mother began to speak. "Isadora, we have some news that will undoubtedly upset you."

Smackle began to worry. "Please tell me what's going on." She begged her parents.

"Your friend, Erica." Mr. Smackle said. "She committed suicide."

Smackle's eyes became glossy, and she was at a loss for words. "What?" She croaked.

"Sweetheart, she's gone." Mrs. Smackle said.

Smackle dove into her parent's arms, and wept.

Mr. and Mrs. Smackle were taken aback by this, for because of Smackle's Aspergers, she never shows emotion like she was right now.

"She left something for you, Isadora." Her father said.

"What is it?" Smackle asked through sobs.

"A letter." Mrs. Smackle said, handing her the crumpled piece of paper.

Smackle snatched it out of her mother's hands, and ran up to her room to read it.

Smackle,

Hell of a circumstance, right? I'm sorry this happened. I just couldn't handle it anymore. Between everything that was going on, I needed an out. This was the only way I could get one.

I'm getting off topic. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I love you, and that you are going to do amazing things, and I will always be proud of you. I'm begging you to let people in. Love hard, Smackle. I know you have it in you.

Sincerely,
Erica Reyes

Smackle grazed her hand over Erica's name, sobbing. She ran back downstairs to hug her parents.

"I'm so sorry, baby." Her mother said, running her hands through her hair. "Are you going to be okay?"

"I don't know, Mom." Smackle said. "For the first time I can truthfully say I don't know the answer."