five

"WHAT? MALIA, IT'S me, Erica

"WHAT? MALIA, IT'S me, Erica." Erica said. "Your sister."

"That's what I was trying to warn you about." The doctor said. "She took such a blow to the head, she lost so much blood, that she has amnesia."

"Oh." Erica said softly.

DAYS HAD PASSED, and Malia had still not regained her memory. Everyone was slowly losing hope that she would.

"Hi Malia." Erica said, entering the hospital room.

"Erica, right?" Malia asked.

Erica's heart broke inside her chest.

"Yeah." Erica said, flashing her sister a smile. "Look, there's something we need to address."

"What is it?" Malia asked.

"Court." Erica said. "You can't remember anything, and no one else was there so we have no one to testify against our father. Which means we'll be taken out of his care, but he won't be in prison. He'll be here, and so will we. Are you going to be okay?"

"I-I think so." Malia stuttered.

"I'm so sorry this happened to you, Malia." Erica said, tears welling up in her eyes. "This is all my fault. If I'd have told someone that our father was hurting us before, it wouldn't have gotten to this level. You would remember me, and we could be happy."

"I don't know a lot, but from what I've been told, none of this was your fault." Malia said. "Our father did this to me, not you."

THE STARES ERICA had received her first day back were unimaginable. People parted as she walked through the halls, and talked in hushed whispers as she walked by.

"How you holding up?" Riley asked, walking beside Erica.

"I've been better." Erica said.

"Don't worry about it," Riley said. "It's like my Dad's lesson about the internet, people will forget about this, and move on to something else."

"Thank you, Riley."

"Erica!" Farkle exclaimed, coming Erica's way with Smackle. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming back to school today? I would've waited for you."

"That's okay." Erica said. "I didn't know I was coming back until I was here."

"How's Malia doing?" Smackle asked.

"She still hasn't remembered anything, but physically she's improved greatly." Erica said.

"That's good." Smackle said. "The faster she heals externally, the faster she'll heal internally."

"Riles, do you have my makeup work?" Erica asked.

"I spoke to my father and he said it was taken care of."

"What do you mean?" Erica asked.

"My Dad said that you don't have to worry about it," Riley responded. "You have more important things going on in your life."

"Please, just give me the work." Erica said sighing.

"Erica, you have so much going on right now!" Riley exclaimed. "Homework is the last thing you need right now!"

"Riley! Can't you see?" Erica asked. "I just want to be normal! And I was normal before I met you guys." She said, her voice sounding venomous.

Farkle, Riley, and Smackle all stood, mouths agape at Erica's words.

"Just, let me be normal." Erica said, storming off.

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND." Malia said to Erica after she explained the story of her fight with Riley. "It seems like all they're doing is trying to help, why'd you snap at them?"

"Because Malia, it's all pity. I hate pity." Erica responded.

"Erica," Malia grabbed her sister's hand. "I don't know much, but I know that these people care more about you than anyone has ever cared about you. And you need to appreciate what they do for you, because they do it for love, not pity. They don't think you're not capable, they think you have more important things to deal with."

"Malia, how is it you know so much more than me?" Erica asked.

Malia shrugged her shoulders. "I'm a genius."

AFTER TALKING WITH Malia, Erica realized that she needed to apologize to everyone, especially Riley.

"Hi." Erica said, after Mr. Matthews opened his door. "I know it's late, but I made a mistake, and I need to fix it."

"Come on in, Erica." Mr. Matthews said. "You're always welcome here."

"Thank you." She said, before making her way into Riley's room, to find Riley, Maya, Farkle, Lucas, Smackle, and Zay. "Hi guys. I came to apologize. I shouldn't have said all that stuff to you, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, Erica." Riley said. "You've been on edge lately, we all understand. We get it."

"It's not okay." Erica said, glossy eyed. "I've only known you guys for a few days but you are without a doubt the best things that have ever happened to me, and it was wrong of me to say I didn't want you in my life, because without you guys, Malia might be dead. Heck, I might be dead. And I want to thank you for everything you've done for me."

Nobody said anything.

"Guys?" Erica asked, wiping away tears.

Lucas got up without a word, and hugged Erica.

Then Zay did.

Then Maya.

Riley.

Farkle.

And then Smackle.

And before you know it, they were all hugging each other, each crying.

"Guys?" Topanga asked, walking into the room. "Sorry to ruin the moment, but Stuart Minkus just called me. He said we need to head over to the hospital right now. Something's happened."

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I'M ALIVE! I'm so sorry this took me so long, but I've had ZERO inspiration for this book! If anyone has any ideas on what should happen, please comment or pm me and I will take them into consideration! (And of course I will give credit if I use them) Thank you loves!!💘