seventeen

LUCAS WALKED INTO the Minkus home after he thought he heard yelling from across the street

"Hello?" He called.

No answer.

"Farkle?" Lucas yelled. "Erica?"

Still no reply.

Suddenly, he heard a loud bang from the upstairs bathroom and ran towards it.

What he saw, would haunt him until the day he died.

It was Erica, lying lifeless on the floor.

FOR TWO DAYS Lucas stayed cooped up in his room, until he got a visit from Malia.

"Lucas?" She asked, entering his room. "Oh, hey Lucas. Your mom let me in."

"Hey." Lucas said softly.

"Um, we found this in Erica's room." Malia said, handing Lucas the letter from her sister. "We all got one. I think you should read it."

"Thanks, Malia." Lucas said, giving her a tight smile.

"Well, I'll see you Sunday?" Malia asked.

"What's Sunday?" Lucas asked.

"It's Erica's funeral." She said. "Please tell me you'll be there."

"Of course I will." Lucas reassured the youngest sister.

"Thanks." Malia said, exiting the Friar's room.

Lucas exhaled, looking at the letter, and then opening it.

Lucas,

I'm sorry you had to go through this. I already know you're gonna be the one who finds me, and I'm sorry for it. You care so much for me, and I let you down every time. I don't know why you put up with me, I'm so different then your whole group.

Anyway, I want you to know that I know you love me. And I love you too. But I want you to love again soon. I want you to be happy, Lucas. If you're not happy, I will never be happy. And that's the whole reason I did this. To be happy again.

Look, Lucas. I don't know when I'll see you again. But when I do, I'm going to kiss you. I'm going to hug you. I'm going to hold you, and I'm not going to let go. You are the best person I've ever known, and I will always love you for that. Remember how to enjoy yourself, Lucas. I'm begging you.

Sincerely,
Erica Reyes

As Lucas finished reading the letter, he vowed to make the most of his life, for Erica.

Everything she missed out on, he was going to do for her.