Just a Glance

Rey's POV
I enter the chapel and sit in the last row. I look down at the 'In Memory' pamphlet I was handed.

I open it and recognize the name. 'Jessica Fett'. I used to go to school with her, back before I dropped out. I didn't talk to her though, I didn't really talk to anyone, but Finn.

Finn is the one who introduced me to Poe. One of the only guys I have ever loved.

He's six feet under now. Just like Jessica will be.

The service starts and lasts just under two hours. There's many girls who cry over here and I recognize some from school.

Wow, even at a funeral their skirts and dresses are still too short.

When the service ends I sit quietly in the back and check my phone. There's a new text from Finn.

F: who's funeral today?

R: Jessica Fett, we went to high school with her.

F: that slut died? How? Drunk driving?

R: I bet she OD'd.

I turn the screen off and look up. Some girl trips and her dress reveals a half moon. A ginger stands up and helps her up. She smiles then pushes the guy away. "Eww Hux. You perv!" She yells at him.

The guy Hux was sitting next to stands and runs a hand through his black short wavy hair. I watch him walk into the aisle and stand next to Hux.

A girl walks over and "trips" into him. He sighs and gives Hux an eyeroll who wiggles his eyebrows at him.

The girl flashes him a huge smile and bats her obviously fake eyelashes. I sigh and realize this is more of a social event then a memorial. I glance down at my phone.

F: Find out yet?

R: Not yet.

I contuine looking down at my phone when I hear some guys talking. "Dude I told you she was too drunk to know when to stop."

"She choose to get drunk."

"You should of taken the crystal away."

"She'd done that much before."

"Or said she had to sound cool and impress you."

R: Overdosed. Point Rey

F: lol of course you're right
...
F: Coming home soon?

I glance up and see the guy with the black hair again looking at me.

"Is that Rey Kenobi?" I hear a girl whisper.

That's my cue. I break eye contact with the man and head out the chapel.

R: Yeah, on my way. That was among the worse services ever.

F: Why no refreshments?

R: Worse, slutty girls who recognized me and it was more of a social event than memorial.

F: Does this mean the mysterious antisocial Rey was forced to socialize?

R: No, I got out of there as soon as I heard my name.

F: lol still too good for everyone but the Great Finn?

R: Ha ha, don't flattered yourself. I've adapted to tolerating you :P

I grab my headphones out of my bag and turn on my music.

'Skinny Love' by Birdy comes on and I remember thinking of Poe this morning. I miss him, but he's in a better place now.

Maybe he has even met my parents.