Chapter 3

All Rights Reserved 

-∞-Chapter 3-∞-

Claire Dubois was someone who saw the best in people, she was optimistic and despite the recent dent in her life, she managed to look at things no differently despite the sadness threatening to swallow her each day.

She had her son, Wyatt to look after and to be strong for. Claire was incredibly grateful that Wyatt didn't have a single clue what his father had done and Claire would do nothing to change it. Her son didn't need to know and it would stay that way.

The verbal abuse had started five years ago but the physical ones started a year ago when she had filed for divorce. Determined to leave her husband, Claire pushed on and she was certainly no weakling nor a pushover and in the end, she had managed to be free and gained sole custody of Wyatt. Her son didn't seem to mind seeing that he wasn't very close to his father anyway.

It was sad but Claire should have known when Wyatt's father didn't seem interested in having a proper relationship with Wyatt. And sometimes when everything was so overwhelming, Claire would give in and torment herself for not seeing it sooner and the ways she could have avoided it all.

But not Wyatt, she would never regret having Wyatt. He was the very reason she got to smile each day. He was her sunshine no matter how surly he got in the mornings before school or how he liked to cause mischief the way only a six-year old could. It didn't matter how tough her life had been or how painful it was, she had Wyatt.

Now, she only worried about the lack of a father figure would do for her son. Surely it would impact him in some way but Claire decided it was a little too soon to worry about that. She had other things to think about like was Wyatt coping well in school? Was he adjusting well to the new environment here in New York City? Was he making friends or had she made a bad decision to move here?

Claire pressed her lips into a thin line before glancing at the clock in the kitchen. It was about seven and if Wyatt wanted to hang out with Grayson in the park and still be on time for school, they had to leave soon as class started at nine.

"Wyatt! We better leave if not you can't meet with Grayson at the park."

Yes, that was another matter altogether. Ever since meeting Grayson at the park where Wyatt had run off about two weeks ago, Wyatt had taken a liking to the quiet mysterious man who frequented the park in the morning. Claire didn't know what to make of it.

She had never seen her son this way - not even with his own father- and well, Grayson seemed to take a liking to Wyatt as well. But what worried her was the way Wyatt seem to attach himself to Grayson. A man that Claire didn't know all that well except that his last name was a Russian one and that he had a slight accent when he spoke and not to mention that he had a soft spot for children from the way he interacted with Wyatt.

It also didn't help that she found herself thinking about him at times. Claire found him fascinating. There was a shroud of mystery surrounding the man and well, Claire liked mysteries. Well, the better way to say it was; Claire liked solving mysteries, she just hadn't decided if she should solve this one yet.