Chapter 4

All Rights Reserved

-∞-Chapter 4-∞-

"You know you don't have to. It was just an accident. It could have happened to anyone."

Grayson eyed her from the corner of his eyes and remained silent as they walked from the kindergarten to one of the Starbucks' outlets nearby. As usual, they had met at the park before Claire sent Wyatt off to kindergarten. Unfortunately, Wyatt hadn't been careful and had almost fallen down a flight of stone steps in the park if Grayson hadn't lunged forward in time. While doing so, he had knocked Claire's elbow and caused her to drop her cup of hot chocolate.

Hence, Grayson had insisted on buying her another cup to make up for it despite Claire continuously refusing his offer - not that he was going to listen to her about that.

"Grayson, you really don't have to. I should be the one offering to buy you a drink for catching Wyatt in time - he could be in the hospital for serious injuries if you hadn't done so."

Grayson liked the way his name sounded when Claire said it. She had a slight French accent. One that wasn't obvious until you heard her speaking for a long period of time.

"No," he said firmly as they continued to walk together down the sidewalk. Winter was fast approaching, leaving the cool and yet warm nature of autumn behind. Grayson slid his hands further into the pocket of his coats when he felt a sudden cool breeze brush past his face.

Glancing sideways at his companion, he was slightly surprised to note that Claire wasn't wearing much to fight the cold. She was only wearing a black jumper and jeans with a white scarf wrapped enticingly around her neck and her feet were adorned with simple brown ankle boots. He on the other hand was wearing jeans with a turtleneck with a coat over.

"Do you not find the weather chilly?" he asked, mildly curious. Claire looked up at him and blinked before breaking into a large smile. "No, it's alright. You can say that I don't get cold that easily."

Grayson raised an eyebrow but didn't comment before they stopped at the coffee joint. He took his hands out of his pockets and opened the door to lead Claire in who flashed him a brilliant smile at him for doing so.

She entered and once again - for what seems like the countless time - Grayson admired her hair before following her in. Immediately, the smells of coffee and pastries along with soothing jazz music assaulted his senses.

And of course, after all these weeks knowing her, Grayson knew she was stubborn and right now, he didn't know if he liked that about her or if that trait of hers made him want to challenge her. "Grayson really. You don't have to. Why don't I get the coffee and you get a seat?"

Her bright smile and wide eyes didn't fool him. Not one bit.

"No."

Immediately, that smile disappeared and Claire pursed her lips. "Why not? I told you that you don't have to-"