Chapter 3: "Please let this work"

Niall’s POV

“James?” Ashley questioned whilst rubbing her eyes,

“Can I come in?” I said with my hands in my pocket. I couldn’t sleep without the thought of what she would do when I tell her, if I tell her. The fear of her leaving me, and I won’t ever get to see her smile or hear her laugh.

“James, are you okay?” I could feel my heart ache with the image of her despising me. I sat at the edge of one of the couches, I hear her yawn as she locks the door. I look at the time, 3:30 am.

“I’m sorry Ash it’s so late I didn’t see the ti-,” I got up but I stopped when I felt her hand on my chest.

“James sit down,” she motioned to the love seat, as I sat I covered my face with my hands. Moments later I felt her soft hands on my wrist tugging them down as she started to straddle my lap. I looked up to her worried eye, so caring and beautiful. “Baby what’s wrong?” I could feel my eyes sting as I look at her innocent face.

“You know I care about you, right?” I could see her somewhat smile fade into a frown.

“James please you’re starting to scare me.” I couldn’t feel the words form in my mouth so I just wrapped my arms around her back and held her, soon I felt her do the same. Keeping her in my arms warmed my cold body from the weather outside.

“I love you Ashley.” I’ve never said those words in the past 4 months. I wanted things to go slow and I finally said it, our third mild stone. The first one I remember was when I asked her if she would be my girlfriend and the second was our first time, intimate wise.

She let go of our embrace and looked at me, she cupped my face with both hands as she looked into my eyes I saw the smile that I couldn’t live without. She closed her eyes and I did the same, I soon felt her lips on mine.

The smooth feel of her moist warm lips made my stomach tingle, her fingers wound up in my hair tugging at the base. I held her hips as she began to slowly circle on top. She broke our kiss and smiled down at me.

“I love you too James.” I was so happy to hear those three words from her but as soon as she called me James my heart dropped and I forgot that she’s in love with James, not Niall.

Just like Harry said.

“What did Harry say?” she furrowed her eye brows, shit I didn’t mean to say it out loud.

“Nothing look I have to go but I’ll see you tomorrow or in a couple days.” I lifted her off me and placed her in my spot. Without looking back I left, as soon as I sat in the car I pressed my forehead to the steering wheel and felt all the pressure fill my eyes making them sting with tears again and all the emotion I’ve held in.

“I can’t lose her, I won’t.” I opened my phone and called the only person I knew would help me. I sniffled and tried to calm myself down before he picked up. As soon as the dial tone stopped I took a deep breath.

“Liam I need your help.”

***

It’s been three days without seeing or hearing from Ashley, I’ve missed every call, text, everything. I just needed some space to get everything planed to perfection. Tonight was our London concert and I was more nervous to see how everything would go, not talking about the concert.

“Niall I’m taking off now, are you sure this is the right address?” Lou asked from the door holding the box I gave her.

“Yes and make sure she wears the necklace.” She nodded and was on her way.

‘Please let this work’ I said to whoever was up there looking down at me.

Ashley’s POV

Watching my 12th episode of Gossip Girl on Netflix I just laid on the couch, waiting for my phone to go off with a text or a call from James. Nothing. What did I do, what did I say, ugh I’m going mad just sitting here.

Just as I was about to give up and curl up in my bed alone for the 3rd night a knock played on my door. Without thought I sprinted to my door jumping over the small foot rest. I swung open the door,

“James- oh I’m sorry I thought you were someone else, can I help you?” my heart ached when I opened the door and I didn’t see the blond haired blue eyed prince I’ve been waiting for. Instead it was a plasma haired girl.

“Hello, are you Ashley?” she asked struggling with the rather large box she held.

“Um who’s asking?” I crossed my arms

“I work for Niall he said you’d be here.” Ugh she must have the wrong apartment.

“Sorry I don’t know anyone by the name Niall try the office in the corner I’m sure they’ll give you the right house.” I started to close the door till her foot slipped in between.

“I-I meant James, I work for James. Sorry I must have mixed up client’s names.” The sound of his name made me feel a pang in my chest.

“Then I’m Ashley, can I help yo- hey!” before I could say no more she let herself in.