Chapter 5: "The tear"

Niall’s POV

I’m the first off stage after the concert. I run to the balcony where I told Lou to keep her. “Niall! Niall!” I stop in my tracks and Lou catches up to me.

“Lou why aren’t you with Ash?” I notice her expression. “Lou what’s wrong? Where’s Ashley?”

“She’s in your dressing room.” Without any more I made my way through the people who greeted me with ‘good concert’ and ‘great job’. When I open the door I saw Ashley hunched over sitting on the couch reading one of the many tabloid magazines that were left on the table with her eyes brows knitted together and her fingers raked through her straight hair. I’ve never seen her hair straighten before, its beautiful.

“Ashley?” she immediately shot up. She just stood there, “Look Ash I-,”

“Stop don’t come any closer.” I could feel the hurt in her voice.

“Ash let me explain.”

“Explain? Explain what? Explain why you and your friends just put on a concert for a whole arena, explain why people keep calling you Niall and why they look at me funny when I ask for a James, maybe explain that you’re a part of the world’s biggest boy band or why people think you’re madly in love with Katy Perry! James what the hell is going on!?” She finally slumped back down on the couch laying her head in her hands.

“Ashley, please please please let me explain.” I sat next to her,

“James I want answers now!” I took a deep breath and began.

***

Liam’s POV

“No word yet?” It’s been an hour and nothing has come out of Niall’s room.

“Nothi-,” Just as Zayn was about to speak Niall came in but it was nothing like we expected.

“What happened?” Louis asked, Niall sat on the couch.

“She left.” His words came out breathlessly

“What do you mean she left, like you guys aren’t together or,”

“Wait what happened? I was sure this plan would work.” I said,

“It was just so much to take I guess, she didn’t say much just that she needs some time to think. What if I lose her, what if I blew it?”

***

Niall’s POV

I feel like my hearts been torn to pieces and it’s hard to speak or breathe. Seeing the expression on her face was bad enough but seeing her leave without anything was even worse. The car ride home was painfully quiet, I had expected Ashley to come home with me, we’d drink Champaign on the way home, have a small dinner, I’d answer any questions she had, and we’d fall asleep together only to be woken up to her in my arms.

Instead I’m sitting on my couch staring at my phone contemplating whether to call her or give her time. My finger hovers over her contact photo, our photo. The picture we took on our 3rd date, I remember the day like it was yesterday.

“Run James! Run!” I could hear her shouting from the side lines as I run to the goal with the football threading between my legs. I kick with all I have and soon I hear Ashley screaming and jumping up and down, clearly happy we won our last game.

“Good one James, have you ever thought of trying out for the community football team? We could use a runner like you.” One of Ashley’s friends asked me as we walked back.

“Um I’m a bit tied up in my job now, it’s hard just to squeeze time to visit Ash.”

“It’s good she has an honest man like you, and finally one that can play a good game of ball.”

“That’s another thing, she talks of you highly and it almost seems like you’re her father figure right now but if it’s okay, I would like to have your blessing to ask Ashley if she would be my girlfriend.” We stopped walking and he crossed his arms.

“You’re not going to hurt our Ash right?” he kept a straight face.

“Never.”

“You won’t be one of those guys that’ll rush her into things?”

“I let her make the first move.”

“Last question, do you mind showing her a thing or two about football? I can’t bear to see her run after the ball anymore.” His straight lined lips slowly started to curve into a smile.

“I most definitely will.”

“Then you have my blessing, now go make my Ashley happy.” With a clasp on the back I jogged over to the girl laughing about with her girlfriends.

“Ashley, can we talk?”

“Yeah, I’ll be back.” She said to her friends and we started walking on the park path. “Is everything okay? Did David tell you something?”

“No I um, Ashley I um,” I took a deep breath trying to calm my nerves. “Ashley I really like you.”

“I really like you too.” She blushed as she smile at the ground,

Déjà vu. (If you didn’t get the joke I was referring to WMYB song)  

“Well if you’d like I would kind of like to stop dating.” Her smile fell and she stopped in her tracks.

“What? Is that why you took me away from my friends so you can tell me to leave you alone.” She started to march off, I stood there confused. Then it hit me.

“Ashley I didn’t mean it like that.” I jogged up to her. “Ashley what I meant was I don’t want to date you anymore because I want you to be my girlfriend.”

“Really?” her face lit up little by little.

“If I totally just screwed it up I underst-,” before I knew it Ashley jumps in my arms automatically kissing me, I lose my step and we end up falling on the grass.When we pull apart her smile was as bright as the sun.

“So I’m guessing that’s a yes?” I chuckle; she leans down and kisses me again.

“It’s a 100% yes.” We start laughing; she lies next to me and grabs her phone, “How about we make a new contact photo for each other?” We end up taking a picture of her giving me a kiss on the cheek for her phone and me giving her a kiss for mine.

“I’m glad we met.” I say as I can’t take my eyes off her.

“Me too James, me too.”

The tear rolls down as I finish the memory.

“I love you Ashley”