Chapter 9: "headlights"

A month later

Ashley's POV

"Does she really have to hold his hand 24/7." I sat on the stool in my favorite café, the place I met James' or should I say Niall's mates. The lie still burned in my mind but my love for him is too large to be angry at him, I just hope it's big enough to get through the Emily phase. I pray it's only a phase, a quick one.

Management says the way things are going Niall would be a big success, although I don't understand how if he's in the world's largest boy band. The fans love them; they call them Nemily, the perfect couple, and their OTP which I've come to learn is 'one true pair'. I can't help but wish that for us, the real true pair.

I feel like I'm forced to share him, with a model. There's always that fear he'll fall for her, just like the story I'm reading. Guy meets girl, girl falls in love, guy runs into another girl, guy forgets about girl #1 and girl #1 is left to wonder why the hell she's sitting alone for the 50th night at dinner. I'm not at the end yet but I have a pretty good idea how it ends and right now the end is the only thing scaring me.

"You're just jealous, you are way prettier than her." I annoyingly direct my eyes to David; he was the only one I felt safe telling about Niall. He was pissed that Niall had lied to us about his true self but I made him understand, even though I hardly understood myself.

He smirked realizing how over the top he was being, "Well just keep in mind Niall loved you first." I let a long breath out and finished my strawberry smoothy. "C'mon we're going to be late for your game."

About a week after the whole Emily came into play I couldn't handle being sat at home thinking about what Niall and Emily are doing together so I took up football (Soccer). David coached me and I guess you could say I was on my way to being the next female David Beckham...okay well maybe not that good, but today was my first game and I had invited everyone; Niall, Liam, Louis, Harry, Zayn, my friends, and even Emily...I had to or else management wouldn't allow them to come. UGH! 

When we got to the field I could feel my stomach flutter with nerves and the cold London weather giving me chills due to the fact I had to wear shorts. The usual expected crowd was sat waiting for the game, as I searched the small crowd I struggled to keep the frown hidden when I didn't feel the blond spiky soft hair I longed to run my finger through.

The whistle blew and in a matter of seconds I was running towards the goal with the red and black ball in between my feet. The adrenaline rush of my first goal allowed my mind to forget about every problem I had. The crowd became my comfort.

***

One more shot and we had the game. Before we set out running again I dusted the grass that clung to my leg. I look up and see a head of dirty blond hair walking up the bleachers steps. I quickly stood to my feet, right before I started to walk towards it, he turned around and that's when my heart shattered.

It wasn't Niall, I scanned the crowed then the area in hopes they were looking from afar but nothing. Instead of sadness it was pure anger. The whistle blew and with my anger fuming it didn't take long until I got flagged for 'accidently' elbowing a player in the side. I shook my head and tried to focus, and luckily it worked.

With the last bit of energy I had, I kicked straight ahead. David screamed out 'NO' as my sketchy move played on. My heart raced as my ears began to ring, the crowed went silent. In zero to sixty the screams and cheers rang in my ear as I was squished in a team hug.

I did it, I won the game! My smile grew but I know it would have been bigger if he was here. I look at my phone as it opens to twitter and see my whole TL filled with pictures of them laughing and smiling at a restaurant. I look for a picture or a post with the name of the place and ask David for a ride.

Niall's POV

"I can't wait for Ashley's game tomorrow." I said as we sat in Racine, Emily's favorite food place.

"I thought it was today." Liam asked

"It was but she texted me it was moved to tomorrow." Just as I finish my sentence out the corner of my eye I see pink shorts that capture my attention.

"Ashley?" I sit up straight as I see her practically drenched in rain. I stand from my chair and race to the door. By the time I get out the door she's half way down the street. "ASHLEY WAIT!" I start jogging up to her but she starts to run and so do I. As I'm running after her I hear fans shouting in back of me and flashing lights from paps.

Ash darts across the street and my heart stops. "NO!" the screams and air seems to disappear as I run to the headlights stopped in the middle of the road.

"Damn it Ashley damn it!"

The flashing lights of an ambulance didn't faze until I felt arms hooking around my stomach and removing me from her side. I struggled with my breathing watching as they lifted her on to the gurney.

"Please be okay, Ashley!" I yelled through the tears, through the heart ache, through the rain. I turned to see Liam was the one latched onto me.

"Let go of me I need to be in there with her!" I scratched at his hand that had the strong hold.

"Niall we'll just follow them, they need the room in there, c'mon!" he tried to calm me but it was just making it worst.

"No I need to be in there, I need to be by her side." I finally elbowed Liam and her was forced to let go. I ran to the flashing lights and jumped in.

"Please I know her let me stay." The woman gave me a sympathetic nod.

I watched as they ridden her of her clothes and pumped air through her mouth, the woman sitting next to me tried to ask me for her information but she had to repeat all of them at least 3 times before I could comprehend what she said.

I tried helping, brushing off the dirt from her wet skin. The rain hit hard against the metal roof, the road became sketchy.

"Whoa whoa whoa!" a car horn was the last thing I heard before I blacked out.