Chapter 21: "I'm Home"

“Ashley?” I jumped from my seat my mind spinning as the beer sets in. When I could finally see clearly I saw the red in her eyes. “I-I missed you.” No that’s not what I wanted to say.

“Your drunk Niall, go to bed.” Her voice was horse.

“Co-come to bed with me.” No I didn’t want to say that, I wanted to yell and tell her I’m sorry and wrap my arms around her body and hold her till she forgives me. “Ash-,”

“I’m going to stay on the couch tonight.” Her voice was low as she took off her sweater, boots and any unneeded clothing. I shook my head and tried running to her but just tripping over a foot rest. “Niall!” she shrieked and ran to my side.

“I’m sorry Ashy.”

“Niall your wasted you can’t even say my name.” she helped me get up slinging my arm over her shoulder dragging me to the bed room.

“Ashley, *hiccup* please stay wif *hiccup* me.” She tried to pull the blanket over me but I kicked it off ending me in more trouble as I accidently hit Ashley’s stomach.

She fell back in pain, “Ashl-,” I tried getting up but stumbling letting the night stand hold me up.

“No leave me alone, just stop!” she yelled as she brought her knees to her chest and cried in her hands. “I can’t do this anymore, Niall. It hurts too much.”

“Ashy ee can work dis owt.” I slur my words again.

“You don’t understand Niall, its not just tonight its everyday…” she takes a deep shaky breath wiping the tears away. I sit on the edge of the bed. “I cant take the loneliness, I’m alone all the time. You’re always working and in interviews and everything. We can’t sit at a restaurant without being blinded and harassed by paparazzi-,”

“Harassed? The paparazzi are nice most of the time and don’t do much, if you think that’s bad just wait till you get to America.” I hissed, I didn’t mean to raise my voice. Ashley got up fast to stand, she tugs at the root of her hair.

“Niall that’s what you see! What about me!? You don’t hear what they say, paps ask me if I’m enjoying your money and if you’re paying me THEY’RE BASICALLY CALLING ME YOUR WHORE AND YOU DON’T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT! And your fans, are even worst. When you’re not around that’s all I hear when I’m walking down the street. You just don’t get it.” she slumps down on the edge of the bed.

“Ashley you knew this would happen when you first started dating me w-,”

“No I didn’t I thought I was going into a relationship with James, remember? When you told me that you were Niall do you know how much I wanted to run and not see you, I loved you too much to stay away.” Her words stabbed me in the heart, I ruined her life.

“Ash-,” I tried to talk but the dizziness in my head stopping me before I puke.

“Let’s just go to bed.” I nodded and laid back on the bed patting the space next to me. I closed my eyes and held her tight.

***

Ashley’s POV

When I heard the small sounds of Niall’s snore I slipped out of his arms replacing the emptiness with a pillow. I walked as quietly as I could to the wardrobe and pulled the bags from the closet. I tried as hard as I could not to let my cries wake him.

I pushed all the clothes into the three bags and grabbed anything I could. When I pulled out the last shirt and a folded paper slipped out. I sat on the floor knowing exactly what it was.

Happy 1 month Anniversary, your gift is under your pillow’ I remember throwing my pillow out the bed and finding the small red box, that’s when he gave me the ring. ‘Don’t worry it’s not a proposal, it’s my promise. A promise to keep you happy, to be there for you, to never hurt you. Meet me at the restaurant at the corner for dinner. Happy anniversary babe. ~James’ it was the night I gave myself to him, the day love hit me like a bus.

I got up and cleared my face of tears. I folded the note and tore the silver and red laced ring from my finger. It wasn’t a promise ring, it couldn’t be. He broke every single one. 

I laid my bags by the door and took my key out of my wallet and placed it on the counter with the two items. I looked down the hall to the open bed room door, i walked back down and went to his side of the bed and leaned down.

“I’m sorry Niall. I just need my James back.”

I walked down to the lobby and call for a cab, every second hurts every moment burns without him. I hopped in the warm taxi after placing my bags in the trunk.

“Where to Ms.?” I thought for a moment, if I go to one of the boys’ house they’ll just talk me into hearing Niall’s apology. I lost all contacts with my friends. I have no one without him. “Ms.?” They it clicked.

“The airport. It’s time for me to go home.”

***

 “We are now in Arizona thank you for flying with us today have a wonderful day.” I grab my bags from baggage claim and look around, a 10 hour flight later I can feel the warm air I remember from my childhood.

“Ashley?” I turn at the familiar voice.

“Dad?” his smile is comforting, his hug is warm.

“I see the ol’ British accent is going to be a bit hard to get rid of.” I laugh and remember how Niall would laugh at the way some words came out American.” “How long are you here?” he ask as we get in the car.

“I’m home dad, I don’t think I’m going anywhere anytime soon.”