Prologue

Ashes floated about, the sky a dull grey. A woman stood in the middle of the graveyard, in front of the tombstones of her family. Her mum, dad, brothers and sister. Behind her, stood her only friend. He stood 2 meters away, watching as she gave each grave an envelope, like she has done every year. She gets up and turns around to her friend. He holds his arms out and she runs into them, like every time. They embrace for a while until she felts better.

"Let's go" She finally says, walking out of the embrace.

"Are you okay?" He asks with concern.

"I'm fine, let's go" Her voice as cold as ice.

He trails behind her, worried for his friend. He would never forget the day everything was lost. The days when it was bright and sunny, people enjoying their times. When he was with her family having a barbecue, celebrating her last birthday with them.

Both of them would never forget that day. The one day where all humanity would end. The day they lost everything the held dear to.

<><><><><>

5 years before (Charlie's POV)

"So are you going to come over tomorrow or not?" I ask Roy over the phone, flopping onto my bed.

"I will, I promise"

"You said that last time, you never came" I pointed out.

"I already apologised, many times. I even skipped personal business to make it up to you"

"Sure, you had better come over, or you would be in trouble mister" I joke.

"Oh no! I'm so scared, somebody save me!" He acts scared.

"Alright buddy, I hope you will come over tomorrow"

"Don't worry, I will come, I promise"

"I will hold you to that, bye"

"Bye Charles"

I hang up after that and flop down on bed. Not knowing what tomorrow had in store. And not knowing this would be the last time I would spend time with my family.

-----<>-----

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLIE!" A voice shouted in my ear, making me jump out of bed and throw my pillow in the intruders face. "Ow... is that what I get for greeting you happy birthday? And for being here for the first time in forever?"

I smile slowly and look to see Roy. "ROY! You finally came!"

"I sure did" he grins and gives me a big hug. "Happy birthday Charles"

"Thanks, but I didn't really appreciate the wake up call"

"Your very welcome" He pulls me towards the bathroom and pushes me in. "Go wash up, I'll see you downstairs."

I nod and go to take a quick shower and change into comfortable clothes. I walk out 10 minutes later and slide down the hand rail of the stairs. I walk into the living room to see my parents both sitting there talking to Roy and my 3 brothers playing with the youngest sibling, my only sister.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLIE!" They all shout at once.

"Thanks guys" I smile as I sit down next to my sister.

I am the 4th oldest in the family. The oldest is Luke, he is 23. He is very protective of us younger siblings and always protects us. Then there is Roman, he is 20. He loves playing footy. He said his dream is to become part of Hawthorn, which is an AFL team. Then comes Garrett. He is 17. He is the type of guy that loves to play video games and become a popular YouTuber like PewDiePie. Every girl in school always talks about my brothers. They always say they are almost like gods. Though I would have to disagree. All of them have dirty blonde hair and they all like to have spiked hair.