Chapter 1

(Present Day) Roy's POV

Ever since that day, Charlie has never been the same. She has a voice like ice and a temper like fire. I haven't seen her smile in years. All her emotions are hidden and anybody who sees her wouldn't know what she is feeling but me. I've known her long enough to see through her mask. The only time her mask would drop is when her birthday arrives.

"Roy!" I hear her shout. I scramble to my feet and head outside the room.

"You called?" I stand next to her. She shoves the binoculars in my hands and points over the horizon.

"Can you see them?"

"Yeah" I put them down and look down at her. "What should we do?"

"Gather the team, tell them we are going to hunt" she then turns away, going to who knows where. I sigh and walk back into base to gather our team. Our team are the survivors we found, there isn't many but we had managed to train them to fight. Wonder why they needed to learn? Because the meteors that hit held creatures from another planet. They have weapons that they throw and anything in the way gets disintegrated. They call themselves the dark elves. The leader, Malekith came for a visit 2 years ago and attempted to kill us. But luckily something happened and he disappeared. Something to do with a thing called the 'Aether' being found.

"Everyone, prepare for battle! The dark elves have been spotted" I announce to the small group of survivors.

They all began to move off to grab weapons. I look above me to see Charlie looking over everyone through the window of her room. I shake my head and go to my own room to prepare.

-----<>-----

"Move out!" I command.

I walk next to Charlie, my twin swords at the side and in my hands, a large gun. Charlie kept her twin white knives on her back and held a staff. I don't know how it happened but she somehow possessed magic. It was a year I think after the meteors hit. I believe they gave off some sort of energy that she absorbed. But if that's how she got her magic, how come I didn't get it?

"Get down low!" Charlie commands all of us. We all crouch down behind the broken building, awaiting for further orders.

"Move stealthily, quietly and quickly." She orders. She moves off, around the building and we follow closely.

She stops at a locked door and holds out her staff. She points it at the door, areas of it turning purple before turning into ashes. She nods towards me and I signal everyone to follow me. I run inside first, gun up, ready to fire if necessary, I see flights of stairs, a perfect area to view our enemies.

"Charlie!" I whisper shout. She turns to me. "There is a flight of stairs. We can take it to the roof top and spot the elves from there"

She nods in agreement and signals me to lead on. I run up the stairs, the others following close behind. I attempt to smash the lock on the door with my gun but failed. So I moved everyone back and shot the lock. I pushed the door open and we all crouched down.

"Look over the edge, see where they are" all dispatch and look over the wall as Charlie crouches near me.

"Sir" one of the young boys called. I turn to him. "They are over there"

I look to where he is pointing. I then look to Charlie who is looking down at them. "What shall we do Charles?"

"We attack now" She commands, ice laced in her tone.

She jumps onto the roof of the next building lower and we do the same, closing in on the dark elves. We run across the broken bars until we are right above them. I look to Charlie and she gives the signal. I nod and give the signal to the group and we all ambush the elves.

Gun shots sounded as the fight began. I shot down two before back flipping over the one behind me and shooting it in the head. We are lucky there are not many of them here so we would get this done quite quickly. All of us killed them off and watched as Charlie finished off the last elf by stabbing her staff into the ground and using it to spin on and kick the elf in the chest, making him fly into the wall of the building. Parts of the building fell on top of him, causing an instant kill.

She dust herself off and does a head count, making sure nobody has been lost. Fortunately, everyone was alive and well with only small scratches. "Everyone is here, that is good."

All of a sudden, the ground began to shake violently.

"Take cover!" I shout over the quake.

We all run towards shelter and hide. I look over everyone to check. I looked to Charlie to see she had a look of terror. I look to where she was looking to see a giant portal was opening. It was disintegrating everything in its path as it grew. Charlie looked at me.

"Run" she whispered at first. Then shouted. "RUN!"

We all ran from the shelter and as far away as possible. Charlie was at the very back whilst I was leading. I turned my head back to check if everyone was keeping up every now and then.

Out of the portal Malekith arrives. I hear Charlie gasp. She runs up next to me and looks behind before looking at me.

"Look after them, lead them to safety" She tells me.

"No, you have to stay with us" I argue.

"Someone has to distract him, otherwise he will kill us all." She argues back.

"I'll do it then" I urged.

"I won't allow it!" her eyes starting to water.

We stop at a building and let everyone enter inside. But we stay at the entrance, seeing Malekith move closer.

"I have no family left, they all died because of him!" She cries and points to the Dark Elf who is walking even closer to us.

"Not all your family has left" I try to reason. "Those survivors we saved are a part of the family, I am your family. Do we even mean anything to you anymore?"

"You do, but I need to do this. I'm sorry" She looks down before looking back at me with cold eyes.

"Charlie!" I shout out as she pushes me in the building and locks the door. She looks at all of us through the window one last time before giving a slight nod and running off. "Charlie!"

"Help me break down the door!" I yell.

We all try to break the door. It was slowly breaking but not fast enough. Through the cracks I see Charlie fighting Malekith as the portal was closing in the background. As soon as I see a weak point in the door, I tell everyone to stand back. I walk back a few steps before aiming my gun at the door. I then pull the trigger and the door explodes into pieces. I then quickly run out but to see I was too late. Malekith was slowly pushing her back into the portal.

"Charlie!" I run towards her, trying to get to her.

She looks at me and shakes her head. Tears start brimming my eyes as I continue to try and reach her I have lost her family who were mine as well. I cannot afford to lose her too. I tried to run faster but I was too late. She got pushed into the portal, as did Malekith and that was it. The portal closed immediately and everything calmed down.

"No" I whispered. I ran to where the portal once was. "NO!"

I fall to my knees and look behind me. The survivors are all looking down in sadness. We have just lost a very special person. Someone who has helped us through tough times. Has been with me since forever. The one I could call sister. But now, I have no one left but the group of last survivors.