Hour One

Thea
I spin my empty glass in my hands on the sticky black bar and munch on the disgusting stale pretzels.

Blake continues to dance with guy after guy on the scratched up dance floor in the middle of the crowded bar. We are at some going away/ graduation party for one of her friends. This is not how I wanted to spend my first night back with my best friend after over a year.

The bartender walks back towards me, "do you want another?"

I nod and he smiles as he hands me another coke and a cup of maraschino cherries to eat along with the gross pretzels.

"You know those pretzels have been known to have traces of feces in them," someone says as they take a seat on the barstool next to me.

I push away the basket of pretzels and eat the cherries instead.

"The lemons too, because the bartenders go to the bathroom, don't wash their hands, then cut up lemons. Nasty right?" He continues talking. Almost as if he is in his own world. Rambling and ranting to anyone that will listen.

When I finally look over at him he shuts up and gives me this guilty half smile, it makes a scar near his lip more prominent, his wavy blonde hair falls into his glasses that hide his dark blue eyes. At least I think they're blue, it's pretty dark in here.

"That's gross," I say.

"I know. That's why I decided to come over here and save you," he says.

"That was you saving me? I've been eating those for at least a half hour!"

"I never said I was Superman," he laughs and it makes me laugh so hard I snort because this guy is lanky and not all that muscular from what I can see in his blue button down shirt.

"What's so funny?" He asks reaching over and taking a cherry.

"I'm just imagining you in spandex," I laugh.

He wiggles his eyebrows up and down, "do you like what you see?"

"Absolutely not."

He sticks out his hand, he has a few pink scars and what looks like burns on his hands and says, "I'm Ellis."

"Thea," I shake his hand.

He orders another soda for me and for himself then asks, "where are you from, Thea?"

I take a long sip, "Michigan. I'm visiting my friend," I say nodding towards her.

Ellis looks towards Blake then back to me, "want to get out of here?"

My eyes widen as I take in what he says. I've been to bars and clubs in Michigan, but that was a little forward of a guy I just met. But maybe that is how things work in New York. I've heard they're quick but I assumed that was a stereotype.

"Thea, not like that. I meant I'll show you around the city, it doesn't look like you're having too much fun here and Blake seems to be busy," I look over towards her again to see her wrapped up in some guy with large muscles.

I look towards Ellis again. At his friendly face and dorky glasses and wonder if I can trust him or if my desperate need to escape this bar is clouding my judgement.

The walk towards Blake seems to take an eternity because I don't know how to stop Blake from continuing her assault on this guy's mouth, it looks disgusting and painful from my viewpoint.

"Blake!" I scream over the music. Somehow that gets her attention and she turns towards me her makeup is smudged around her eyes like usual, "I'm leaving."

"Where? With who?" She asks keeping a hand locked around her guy's large bicep.

"Explore the city with Ellis," I look towards him and he waves to us awkwardly. I can't help but smile.

"With Ellis?" She questions.

"What?"

"He's just not your usual type," She says, "but have fun. Call me when you're on your way home."

Ellis and I head out onto the crowded New York City streets and watch some guy throw up into a trashcan and I wonder when the next plane home is.

SO how do you like it so far?! This all takes place over one day (30 hours in this case).

Thanks for reading! Please comment and Vote <3

-Brooke