Hour Nine

Thea

"I'm sorry Thea," Ellis says stopping at the stairs that lead down into the now crowded subway. I shake my head.

"We have to go back to the bar and get the motorcycle," he shrugs and smiles like he isn't trying to force me down into a dark hole with a bunch of pushing and shoving strangers.

"It's way too crowded. We should walk or take a cab or something."

Ellis laughs, "Thea this is not even a little crowded. It's Saturday morning. You should see it on a Monday."

My eyes widen in fear as I imagine the stampede of people forcing their way down the cement stairs and into the sticky heat of the underground. 

"I guess we can officially say that you will never move to the city. Even though my tour has been amazing."

I nudge him with my shoulder and start walking away from the subway station, "I don't think you could show me anything that would make me want to live here. A visit is fun but full-time? No way."

"You're going the wrong way."

"If it is away from the tunnel of death then I'm pretty sure it is the right way," I say throwing my hands up.

He grabs my hand and basically drags me down the decently crowded stairway and into the musty air that I hate so much. I almost gag on the smell but hold it back.

I somehow make it through the turnstile in one try this time, which is already a huge accomplishment, "so I'm basically a local now." I say as we rush onto the waiting subway.

"Sure, Thea, sure." Ellis laughs. His grip on my hand is so tight but I don't mind. I know he's nervous and I understand why.

"One time my then best friend was over, her name's Lauren, and we were playing on the swings outside in my backyard." I say trying to distract him.

"So we were like five or seven but she wanted to go in the baby swing, you know the one that locks?" I ask.

"Yeah." He nods now seeming interested in the story.

"She went into the swing and obviously was too big so it kind of jammed up. But there was this bees nest under the wooden part of the play set and I guess the squeaking from the swing woke them up and they swarmed. I mean swarmed like in movies, Ellis."

"So what happened?"

I take a deep dramatic breath, "I left her there. She was stuck in the swing and I ran away into my house because I'm terrified of bees. I mean who isn't?"

"You left her?" His blue eyes are wide and pretty in the horrible lighting of the subway. I move a little closer to him so our legs are touching from thigh to ankle.

"Yes."

"How many stings?"

"At least thirty."

"No," Ellis says shaking his head probably trying to imagine the amount of pain Lauren was in. "Did you get stung?"

"Nope. Not one sting."

"You're the worst friend ever," Ellis says laughing.

"Yup, now you know another secret." I say and kiss his cheek. He smiles and kisses my lips just before the subway stops where we need it to.

"Are you guys still friends?" He asks as we put our helmets on and get situated on the motorcycle. My heart is pounding in my ears but I try to stay as relaxed as possible because I know that it's Ellis' turn to freak out.