Hour Twenty-Four

Thea

"I have to be at the airport at 4:00," Ellis says as we walk hand in hand back to his apartment building. We ditched Cole and Blake as quickly as we could without being too obvious.

"Six hours to go," I say and nudge his shoulder. He pulls me closer, stops walking, and kisses me. I've never been too in PDA but with Ellis I don't mind. And I'm not sure what that says.

It's like the time we have left is weighing down on our spirit in the way we leisurely walk the streets of Manhattan. It's so strange that just a day ago I was brand new to this city. Now I feel like I could handle it on my own, but that could be the lack of sleep talking.

"Do you want to sleep?" I ask as a yawn escapes.

He shakes his head, "I don't have to. I can sleep on the plane, but I might be out of tour guide ideas. I don't think any other tour guide in the history of this city has had to come up with over twenty-four hours worth of stuff! Maybe this city isn't as great as everyone says it is."

I laugh as Ellis continues to ramble on and on, "you did a great job," I say.

He smiles at me, "when you visit me in Europe I'll have my tour ready and polished. It won't be thrown together like this."

"I liked this," I lean my head on his shoulder.

"Me too."

"Is that what you're really doing in Europe? Being a tour guide?" I ask laughing hysterically for no reason, "you just told me the whole chef thing to impress me?"

Ellis begins laughing too and soon we are wiping tears from our eyes, "this sleep deprivation is not doing us well," he says.

"I have an idea!" I say.

"What?"

"Lets go back to the bar."

"Which bar?" he asks.

"The bar where we met. Lets eat cherries and poop lemons and tell the bartender that we fell in love in twenty-four hours," I'm laughing again. I can't believe I said the whole falling in love part. I can feel my cheeks heat up but I can't stop smiling. Maybe we did fall in love in just a day.

"No," Ellis says.

"No?" I ask my embarrassment growing.

"We have thirty hours to fall in love. You haven't seen anything yet."