Hour Eight

Ellis

Once we've decided our next stop I wave down a taxi and we get in. Thea sits close to me her our legs touch. I grab her hand. She looks at me and says, "thanks for not making me ride the subway again."

I laugh, squeeze her hand not letting her know how nervous I am to see my brother after so many years.

When we reach our location I pay the cab driver and watch Thea look up at the giant brown building in front of us.

"You live here?" she asks her eyes wondering over the fountain that is in the center of the large circular driveway. I nod and lead her towards Gary, our doorman.

"Good morning Ellis," he says as he opens the door for us.

"Morning Gary," I say and head towards the elevators in the back of the lobby.

"Oh my God you are like Elouise from those books or Suite life of Zack and Cody. You live in a hotel!"

"It's an apartment building."

She rolls her honey brown eyes dramatically, "this is not an apartment building. This is grand and beautiful and I look like a slob. How did Gary even let me in here?"

I look at her in her jean shorts, dirty Converse sneakers, and blue top that stops just above the waistline of her pants. When she moves too quickly the shirt flies up revealing her tan stomach.

"You look great," I say pulling her close and kissing the side of her head.

"Whatever. Blake didn't give me any notice about your party. Did you know that I just got here today? I wore this on the plane. I probably smell like plane and now like New York City."

"Your rambling is pretty damn cute," I laugh.

"Shut up, Ellis. I just didn't know how out of my league you were until we walked into this palace."

The elevator starts its journey up to the twelfth floor where I live. I'm almost scared for Thea's reaction.

The doors open reveling my living room. The floor is white tile with a large area rug in the center, there is a piano by the large window that looks over Central Park and a couple of floral couches that we aren't allowed to sit on.

I lead Thea further in and down the long hallway that my brother and I's bedrooms are located in. It is the furthest hallway from my parents room, which always made sneaking out too easy and not at all fun.

"Wow," Thea says in a soft voice as she takes in the over-the-top decorations and millions of family photos that line the hallway.

I open the door to my room and Thea automatically relaxes. I wonder if it's because my room is so ordinary. Blue bedspread, desk in one corner, dresser and T.V in the other. Thea runs her fingers over the few trophies I have lining the walls, "cooking competitions?" she asks.

"Yeah my parents used to love the fact that I could cook well at such a young age. They'd enter me in all these contests and they were so proud. Until they felt like it was time to grow up and find a real dream."

"I get it."

"I know," I say and lean in to kiss her, but my door opens.

"Did you just get in?" Dad asks in his gravelly voice as he rubs his tired eyes. I nod and he looks at Thea and then back to me. "I heard the elevator, I must have fallen asleep in the family room."

Dad's been sleeping in the family room a lot lately. A lot more than just falling asleep by accident.

The three of us stare at each other. Thea opens and closes her mouth a few times and I know I should introduce her but I can't. I can barely look at him knowing that I'm about to disobey him and Mom by going to see Brenden.

After a few more seconds he walks away without saying anything to Thea or about Thea and my door closes softly behind him.

"Is he mad that I'm here?" She asks.

"No. He doesn't care. You're a girl."

"That's why I thought he'd be mad-" Thea cuts her sentence short then mumbles, "oh," and gives me a half smile.

"So why are we here?" She asks.

"Brenden sent me a couple of birthday cards and a congrats card for graduating. It must have a return address on it. Then we can go or we can take a nap first. Whatever you want to do. I wouldn't mind sleeping with you." I wink at her and her face turns a shade of pink.

"You are testing your luck, Ellis."

I find the blue unopened envelope and leave it on my desk then walk towards her.

"How? I'd say I've been getting pretty lucky."

"One kiss is not all that lucky."

Thea walks backwards as I continue walking towards her. The backs of her knees hit the bed and she sits on it then lies down. I lay besides her on my side and she turns to face me. I place my hand on her cheek and it slightly reddens again.

I lean forward and kiss her again, this time way better than before. Soon we are a tangle of limbs as we try to get as close to each other as physically possible. And all that keeps running through my head is: you're leaving, stop now before it's too hard to back away.

But her hand slides up my shirt and then right back out before she jumps off the bed, "okay enough of that. Lets go."

"You good?" I ask as I open my closet and find a pair of shorts and a short sleeved shirt to wear instead of the clothes I went to the party in.

"You good?" She repeats looking down.

"I'm gonna need a minute or two," I say holding my clothes and heading into the bathroom.

I hear Thea laugh as I settle down. And I know I'm so far into whatever this is that I already don't know how I'm going to get out.

**Please vote and comment!! :)

What do you think about Ellis' brother sending him letters and Ellis never opening them?

Are you excited for next hour when they go to find Brenden?!

Thanks for the continued support :)

-Brooke