Hour Twenty-Eight

Thea

We wake up a couple of hours later groggy and unsure of the time. Ellis looks at me and smiles then fumbles for his phone that is on the nightstand.

"Shit," he says then looks at me, I can tell his eyes are sad even in the darkness of his bedroom.

"What?" I ask already knowing it has something to do with our lack of time left.

"It's 2:00," he says with a sigh.

"What do you have left to do?" I ask. I'd rather help him finish packing then think about our last two hours together.

He just looks at me, "what?" I ask.

"You seem okay with this," his voice is quiet and unsure. He sits up in bed and stares straight ahead. I can see the shadows of his suitcases lining the walls.

"Ellis, we knew that it would end this way."

"But we didn't know it would be this great," he argues back finally making eye contact with me.

"I don't know what to tell you," I say defeated.

"Say you'll come with me."

"It's not that simple."

"It is exactly that simple. Don't say that this meant nothing," he says and I don't know if he is talking about our whole time together or what we just did together.

"Of course it meant something. But I'm not fighting about this with you again."

"I have a few more things to pack and I have to say bye to my family," Ellis says changing the subject.

"Just tell me what to do," I reply.

We work silently throwing extra socks and random things into his already stuffed suitcases. I make sure to pack his phone and laptop chargers and everything else I can think of.

It's strange that I feel like I can pack for him, like I already know enough about him to know what he needs.

When we finish we roll the suitcases into the foyer area of his giant apartment and he goes to say goodbye to his parents and his brother. It's all very quick.

"That's it?" I ask when he comes back.

"Yup, we don't make a big deal out of goodbyes."

I nod and feel sorry for him. My mom almost cried when she said goodbye to me at the airport and I'm only in New York for a few days.

"I have one more thing to show you," Ellis says with a sad smile. We each take a suitcase and he has a car waiting for us outside of his apartment building.

The driver puts the suitcases in the trunk and we take a seat in the back. We are sitting so close together, I rest my head on his shoulder and he kisses my head.

The driver seems to know where we are going because we stop right outside of the biggest building I have ever seen.

"It's the Empire State Building. It's not all that exciting but I wanted to be the one to show it to you," he says helping me out of the car.

We stand on the sidewalk looking up at the colorful lights dancing on the building.

"It's amazing," I say.

"It's closed, of course," he laughs, "but maybe one day we can go to the top."

"Promise?" I ask and I don't know why I want him to promise me something as silly as that.

He nods and holds out his pinky. We pinky promise and it's the perfect way to end our adventure together.

"Should we get pizza?" Ellis asks looking towards the still crowded pizzeria across the street.

"Yes." Pizza is an okay way to end our adventure too.

***