Chapter 23: Kaiser

"Kaiser? Is that your name?" Decans asked the newly named Kaiser, who was pacing back and forth with her single braid swinging from side to side. Meanwhile, Sera was gazing at her with a conflicted expression. She didn't know whether to run away from her or to try to become her friend. But because she had desperately pleaded for Classic Sans not to hurt Kaiser, it seemed pretty pointless to try to escape her, so she stayed put.

"Yes," Kaiser said bluntly. "I know, I know, it's an interesting name, so please don't ask me any more questions relating to it." "Duly noted," Suave said. Kaiser had been introduced to the skeleton children and the caretakers after Classic Sans had chosen to spare her, so she already knew their names. Even so, they were having a hard time trusting her - and she didn't blame them at all for that. After all, she had tried to kill Sera - who was apparently the one who was supposed to destroy Fallacy, according to the prophecy.

Geno was standing near Sera and in a battle-ready position, ready to defend her if need be - most likely from Kaiser. The female human tried not to take it personally. "What do we do now?" Reaper asked. "We continue to walk down between the alleyways to the castle," Classic Sans said. "Once we get there, we just go and do whatever it is that we need to do."

"Oh no," uttered Swap Papyrus. "Have you forgotten about the plan already?" "Nah, I'm just too lazy to tell the whole thing," the blue-hoodie-wearing skeleton replied. "Shoulda known," Fell Sans sleepily remarked. The aforementioned skeleton was sleepy because it was almost nighttime, which was when the group usually went to bed. As if noticing how Fell Sans had spoken, Swap Papyrus interrupted the conversation.

"Excuse me, everyone," he said. "I need to go find somewhere where we can stay for the night, given that we're in somewhat of a big Kingdom. Does anyone wanna come with me?" When no one responded, he spoke once again. "Alright then," he said. "When I find us a place to sleep, I'll come back and get you guys. Okay?" "Okay," everyone else replied simultaneously. With that, Swap Papyrus snapped his fingers and teleported himself away in a blip of orange magic.

Once Swap Papyrus had disappeared, the children began to talk amongst themselves. They began to converse with one another about various topics. Cross in particular wasn't really talking about anything, but he was gazing at Kaiser in a rather romantic manner - much like one would do when crushing on someone.

"No, it can't be," Kaiser internally argued when she noticed how the black-and-white skeleton was looking at her. "I tried to murder his friend, yet... why do I feel the same way about him as he probably does for me." She did so because she didn't understand the concept of romance, let alone love at first sight. She had always been untrusting of others and aware that she wasn't exactly mentally stable, so she had pushed away or rejected every potential lover to not only protect herself but to protect them as well. She had never really returned their feelings for her anyways.

But with Cross, it felt... different - to her at least. However, that didn't mean that she was going to make it easy for him to earn her love. He would have to get her to trust him first before even mentioning how he might feel about her. In short, Kaiser wasn't ready for love and affection - especially for or from a friend of the person that she had attempted to murder.

She felt terrible about what she had almost done to Sera. "If I had been successful, then... there would've been no one to defeat Fallacy and end the Multiversal War," she realized. With that, she resolved to apologize to her for nearly killing her as well as her assumption that she was one of the Draconians and her insults towards her.

But despite all that, Sera had intervened for Kaiser and had convinced Classic Sans to grant her mercy. That had taken her by surprise, since she'd always believed that Draconians were merciless creatures that were absolutely unforgiving for even the slightest accidents - but that wasn't the case with Sera. Kaiser could tell right away that the pink bipedal Draconian was kind, friendly, forgiving, and merciful - which explained why the skeleton children were so relaxed and comfortable around her.