Chapter 40: Mother & Uncle

Tension invaded the atmosphere as the Crayon Queen examined the group. She noticed Geno's presence, but didn't say anything as she inspected the caretakers and the children. A few moments of silence passed before she spoke up.

"Why have you three returned?" She asked, presumably speaking to the adult skeleton monsters, perhaps implying that they had been here before. "And why do you have the children with you?" Sera couldn't help but sense that the Crayon Queen was somehow testing them - as if to verify something that she'd been informed of, which was most likely the rumors of their arrival. "We need to come up with a plan for dealing with Fallacy," Classic Sans answered. "And we need you and the other rulers to help us."

"I see," the Crayon Queen said, obviously satisfied with the blue-hoodie-wearing skeleton's response. "If that's the case, then what Little Noko told me must be true." Suddenly, a male bipedal wolf monster with gray-and-white fur and light-brown eyes who was wearing a blue jacket, a green undershirt, and brown pants came in through the entrance.

"Your Highness," he said, catching the Crayon Queen's attention. "The others are ready to discuss the war plans." "Thank you, Wolfgang," the pink-haired human responded, revealing the newcomer's name. "I'll be right there." She then turned to speak to the caretakers. "I need you three to come with me," she told the adult skeleton monsters. "Wolfgang will inform the children about what has happened."

The caretakers nodded in understanding and followed the Crayon Queen out of the entrance to the throne room, leaving the children alone with Wolfgang. They were slightly wary of each other for some time, but it eventually became clear that the wolf monster had no intention of harming the children and vice versa. Yet, Sera couldn't dispel the feeling that something very important was about to happen.

"Error, Fresh," Wolfgang uttered. "Come here, please." The two aforementioned skeletons obeyed him and went to stand beside him. Intense silence once again overtook the somewhat awkward atmosphere between the children and the unfamiliar wolf monster, with the two groups being strangers to one another. Wolfgang himself felt increasing pressure to speak to the children and say what he needed to say, but he just didn't know how he should do so.

"Uncle Wolfgang?" Error asked when he saw that the wolf monster was having trouble with speaking up. "Are you alright?" "Y-yes," Wolfgang replied after he'd bent down to make eye contact with the black skeleton. "I'm just not sure about what to say to them... especially Geno." He whispered the last portion of his sentence, not wanting to get any potentially negative attention from the children. The black skeleton nodded in understanding of his uncle's words. "Want us to do it for ya?" Fresh inquired, wanting to assist the wolf monster.

"Absolutely not," Wolfgang responded quietly. "I am not burdening either of you to... tell Geno about what happened to your father." The two skeleton monsters understood what their uncle was insinuating - and in all honesty, they didn't want to talk about it either. But they knew that someone had to do it, whether they liked it or not. However, they had no idea that Sera had heard everything that they had talked about - and she was more than understanding of why Wolfgang had been hesitant to speak.

The pink Draconian had already put two and two together as she'd inferred the wolf monster's words and the context behind them. Based on the subject of their conversation, it wasn't any wonder why neither Wolfgang or the brothers could come up with a way to say what needed to be said. The brothers then uttered encouraging things into their uncle's ears before he stood up and faced the children.

"Geno... I need you to come with me," Wolfgang said. "I... need to tell you something." "Wait a minute," Reaper spoke, still wary of the wolf monster. "How do we know that we can trust you with our leader?" "Reaper, please," Sera mentally pleaded, not wanting an argument to take place. "Let him do what he needs to do." "I understand your distrust," Wolfgang responded. "But... I really need to speak to him."