Chapter 27: Amends & Truths

Upon exiting the Monochromatic Dunes, all of the members of the group - particularly the children - were quiet, as if they were trying to take in what had just happened a mere few moments ago. It seemed as if only the adults could truly focus on the task at hand - which was to return to Queen Jakei in order to confirm her suspicions as well as to perhaps earn her alliance in the Multiversal War.

When they finally arrived at the entrance to Queen Jakei's castle, the adults told the children to wait for them and stay outside until they returned. They knew that their caretakers had the intention of confirming the Queen's suspicions as well as potentially earning her alliance and assistance in the Multiversal War, so the children had understood why they were to wait outside for them. Once the three caretakers had entered the castle-fortress, the children were quiet for what seemed like eternity before Cross finally spoke up and broke the intense silence.

"So," the black-and-white skeleton said to Sera. "Is it true that you can read minds?" "Yes," the pink Draconian replied. "But it's more or less selective than involuntary - which basically means that I can choose when I read minds." "That would explain why you knew Nightmare Sans' name, even though you'd never met him before," Suave realized. Sera nodded in confirmation.

"Sera told me about her powers last night," Kaiser cut in. "So that's why I wasn't really surprised when Nightmare Sans said that she was a mind-reader." "That reminds me," Cross said. "What are your powers?" He paused briefly before continuing. "I mean, we already know that you have deadly acid, magical fire, the ability to read minds, and that you're the incarnation of Yekel - but it seems like there's more to you than meets the eye. You know what I'm saying?" The pink Draconian nodded in understanding.

"Well, believe it or not," she said. "But I might have magical powers - but it's more enhanced than the regular kind that monsters use." "Like an Ancient Aura?" Suave asked. Sera nodded in confirmation. "Wait a minute," Decans asked. "What's an Ancient Aura?" "It's a mysterious power that only spiritual incarnations possess," Suave explained. "The possessor of that power can either use it for good or evil - and both paths have titanic consequences that impact our timeline."

He paused for a few moments before continuing on with his words. "And since Sera is the incarnation of Yekel, who is the Dragon Spirit of Peace, it would make sense that she would possess an Ancient Aura. Additionally, I'm pretty sure that Sera knows what else that an Ancient Aura can be used for." "What is it?" Reaper asked. "I'm afraid that it's confidential information that only the possessor should know," the servant replied. "I'm sure that Sera would want to keep it a secret as well." The pink Draconian nodded in agreement.

A few moments of silence passed by before Kaiser spoke up. "Ummm... Cross?" She uttered. "Yeah?" The black-and-white skeleton said. "Can I, uhh... speak to you in private?" The human girl asked. "Sure," the black-and-white skeleton replied. "Lead the way." With that, Kaiser walked away from the group in the direction of one of the nearby alleyways while Cross followed her in a dutiful manner. A few moments later, they were out of sight.

"Man," Reaper said in a downcast tone of voice. "I really wanted to talk to him about something, but now it's too late." "You can tell him when he comes back," Suave replied. "It's never too late for apologies." "Yeah, but it's really important," the cloaked skeleton said. "And - wait, how did you know about that?!" "I have observed the two of you very closely," the servant replied. "It's obvious that the both of you wish to apologize to one another and establish a proper friendship."

Reaper went silent, for what his friend had said was true, so he had no reason to say otherwise. He simply remained quiet and waited patiently for Cross and Kaiser to come back. He hoped that they would do so before the adults returned from their presumed meeting with the Queen of the X-Tale Universe.