05

"I'm not going to lie, Vicki," Rachael said, as we parked in the shadow of Tanner's enormous house, "This is pretty ballsy."

"It's just a party," I said breezily, but she shot me a knowing look, her copper eyes vibrant under a thick layer of eyeliner that complimented her fiery-red hair perfectly.

"Just a party," she repeated, tapping her chin in mock thought, "That your ex-boyfriend is hosting."

"That I got invited to," I countered, and she rolled her eyes.

"I still can't believe you let Luke Callaway, of all people, take you home."

"He's not that bad," I murmured, busying myself with the car mirror, double-checking my makeup. Once I was finished, I stared out the window, waiting for Rachael to finish up.

As I watched throngs of girls unload from all different cars, practically running to the front door, I began to wonder whether I should have tried harder. My makeup was simple and natural―in other words, practically nonexistent. I was wearing a sleeveless top with leggings, and as I saw the long, bare legs of all the others, I cursed myself for not putting on shorts.

You came, didn't you? I chastised myself. That's enough.

And it was.

Rachael didn't bring up Luke again, and we got out of the car, making our way up the drive and to the front door. It was all too familiar―the warm lighting, the doormat that concealed the spare key. Tanner and I had spent several lazy afternoons here; it had practically become my second home.

Not anymore, I reminded myself. You can't think of it that way anymore.

So I took in a deep breath, shaking out my hands. I felt Rachael's hand on my back.

"We can turn around, if you want. Go home and rent a movie, or something."

I opened my mouth, prepared to agree, when Luke Callaway's voice rang in my head.

You've got to live a little bit.

"No." I said firmly, squaring my shoulders. "Let's go in."

Rachael laughed―it came out forced, nervous.

"Okay, then." She echoed. "Let's go in."

And we did.

________

The first thing I noticed was the music.

Loud, pulsing music blared from the speaker systems, making it almost impossible to think straight. Shaking my head, I turned in my place. What had once been a clean, neat foyer was now full of discarded shoes, sunglasses and purses. Chatter rose from the crowds that I could see gathered in the kitchen and living room, a general buzz that was―somehow―louder than the obnoxious music.

"Come on," Rachael said, elbowing me. "We have to go interact with people now."

I swallowed hard, with a breathy laugh, as I began to move forward.

"Yeah. Okay."

This was a bad idea this was a bad idea this was a bad

"Hemmings!" A familiar voice sounded, and I turned around instantly, coming face-to-face with Luke. He'd changed shirts, I noticed. But that cheeky smile was the same as he bounced on the balls of his feet.