39

The reception was held in the house and on the deck. Lights had been strung up in the gazebo, and the caterers set up in the kitchen, and people swarmed about everywhere. Mom was positively radiant; she hadn't stopped smiling since the moment she stepped foot on the sand. A dance floor had been set up on the beach, where several guests still lingered, sipping from cocktails and visiting.

I ate a small bite of salmon and sipped water, sitting beside Luke at our assigned table, alongside one of Daniel's sister and my Aunt Shelly, who was the proud parent of twin toddlers who I was just now being introduced to as their cousin.

"Greg, sit down," Shelly ordered, as one boy tugged on the other's bowtie. "Samuel, apologize."

There was a muttering of apologies, and they went back to their food. Shelly offered us a tired smile.

"Tori, it's been so long," she said. "You look so grown up and beautiful!"

"Thank you," I told her, with a gracious smile. "You look great, too."

She waved her hand dismissively, but blushed nevertheless, taking a swig of wine.

"I wish your uncle could be here, but he had work. He would have loved to seen you."

"Oh! Well, tell him we miss him."

This was almost second nature by now. With every unfamiliar relative that approached me, I stuck to a script of conversation. How was the family? Oh, the dog had surgery? How did it go? It was nice seeing them, too!

And then, I'd fall back into silence, eating and occasionally talking with my grandmother, who was currently fawning over Luke.

"Young kids these days don't know what they're doin'," she was telling him, waving her hand vaguely in the air. "But I know a good man when I see one, and that's you."

"Thank you very much, ma'am," he replied graciously. "That means a lot."

"Politeness." Grandma Lorelai-my mother's namesake-told me, wagging a finger in my direction. "That's what sets 'em apart. You've got a good one, here, Tori, so don't let him get away."

Luke glanced at me from over his shoulder, concern flickering in his gaze before he smiled shyly, and I returned it, perhaps a bit too quickly.

"Thanks for talking to us, Grandma." I said, and just then, the harpist started up again, this time accompanied by an entire band, and the music sparked an excitement among the adults.

Before I knew it, everyone was dropping everything and rushing to the large, illuminated dance floor across from the arbor. Luke tugged on my arm teasingly, and I glanced over at him.

"What?" I asked, frowning.

"Let's dance, Hemmings. We're not fooling anyone."

I supposed he was right. We had seemed more platonic than ever-I was here to convince my mother that I was happy and in a relationship. Luke and I couldn't be more stiff around each other, and this was a surefire way to loosen up.

So I took his outstretched hand and allowed him to lead me out to the floor.

It was a large, elaborate floor that sat levelly atop the sand, and I felt myself sway slightly as I stepped onto it. Luke swayed, too, but to the beat of the music-taking our entwined hands up and moving his other one to my waist. I stiffened up ever-so-slightly, but at the look in his eyes, forced myself to relax.

He moved me into his arms, and I rested my head against his chest, moving to the sound of his heartbeat, the music fading out in my ears as he leaned down to whisper,