29

Dad was reluctant to see us go. He stood in the driveway as I lugged my bags over to Luke's minivan, the sun just barely peeking over the trees, bright against the blue-gray sky. He'd asked me several times if I was sure, assured me that I could stay home, that I wasn't obligated to go-but I hadn't come that far to give up.

And so we left, with Luke in the driver's seat and me in the passenger's, using my phone as a GPS.

"Turn right here," I said, a few minutes after we'd set off, and Luke laughed.

"I know how to get out of your neighborhood, Hemmings."

"Sorry."

"It's okay," he said, and I looked out the window, breathing in and out slowly, the reality of what was about to happen finally settling in.

His hand found mine, and our fingers interlocked, and I shot him a grateful look.

"Repeat after me. Everything is going to be okay."

I laughed, but he glanced over at me, dead serious.

"Oh," I said, sobering up immediately. "Um...everything is going to be okay?"

"Not a question. A statement."

"Luke."

"Victoria," he said, mocking my tone, a smile creeping up on his features, "Just say it, okay? It would make me feel better."

"Fine," I replied, resisting the urge to roll my eyes. "Everything is going to be okay."

"You know it." He replied, freeing his hand from mine and continuing to drive forward, flipping on his turn signal and changing lanes. "Now let's gatecrash the hell out of your mother's wedding."

________

The airport was crowded and hectic and stressful-and it was even more so with my mother's voice in my ear.

"Uh huh," I mumbled into the receiver, while Luke helped me load my suitcase onto the security conveyer belt. "Mom, I'll call you back; I have to put my phone through the security-"

"Wait, hon," Mom interrupted, and I held up an apologetic finger to the security guard, who looked annoyed. "What color dress did you order?"

"Teal, like you wanted." I said, trying to speak as quickly as possible, but she released a huffy little breath, and I knew I'd done something wrong.

"Oh, Tori, I should have told you. I'm going with a light periwinkle, not teal."

I held back a groan, and Luke motioned me forward, already on the other side of the metal detector.

"Mom, I have to go. We'll figure out the dress situation later, okay?"

"But-"

"Oh no, Mom, I can't hear you!" I said, feigning alarm. "Are you going through a tunnel? Hello? Hello?"

"Tori?" She called, her voice increasing, as if this would help me hear her better. "Tori, are you there?"

"Well, if you can hear this, we'll see you in Florida! Can't wait; bye!"

With that, I ended the call and threw my phone in with my purse and luggage and walked through the detector. Once I reached the other side, Luke shot me a quizzical look, and I shook my head.

"Apparently my dress isn't the right color."

"But it's teal," he said, brows raised.

"Not anymore. She wants periwinkle."