23

"E-excuse me?" I stuttered, a lump forming in my dry throat.

"You heard me." John folded his arms. "We know you're not from here."

I shook my head with disbelief, my face as white as snow.

"Ludicrous!" Paul chuckled, barricading between us all. "You lads are out of it!"

"Oh really?" John raised an eyebrow. "How can you be so sure?"

Paul's lip quivered in frustration, his face a fierce red colour, almost as though he was holding his breath.

"How can I be so su-" he began, almost tearing the hair from his scalp. "John! Are you seriously trying to tell me you think that Grace is from the future?"

John nodded nonchalantly.

"How did she get here then smart arse? A spaceship?" Paul argued. "Next thing you know, you'll be telling me she's from Mars!"

Ringo shook his head disapprovingly.

"Come on lads." He sighed. "Let's not bicker."

"But-"

"Paul," he interjected. "This isn't a wind up. Now, we came here for a reason, and I think it's best we let Grace speak."

All three heads turned to me with large, curious eyes, leaving me utterly speechless; one with an intimidating stare, and another with a doleful expression with strength enough to make me feel the weight of the world. I averted my eyes to Ringo's immediately for conciliation, trembling from all over as my mind span tirelessly.

"It's okay love." He clasped my hand to give it a quick squeeze. "We know and we aren't mad. We just want an explanation is all."

I nodded understandably, taking deep breathes as I kept a tight hold of Ringo's palm to relax me.

"Grace," I felt Paul reach for my shoulder with a cold hand, making me flinch. "What they're saying...it isn't...i-it can't be..."

I glanced to Paul. He gazed at me with a lost expression, exposing his naive nature through his dull, doe eyes. It filled me with repent to stare into his trusting and hopeful countenance, and prepare to break the truth to him.

"Well?" John spat, averting my attention to him with much enmity.

Vexedly, I scrunched up my face as I glared at him; he wasn't even worth a single wasted breath. Instead I looked back to Ringo for guidance, who inched closer towards me encouragingly.

"How did you find out?" I hushed to him, addressing Ringo as though we were stood alone.

He frowned.

"It would break your heart tu' tell you love."

"I want to know." I said incisively.

"Grace-" he shook his head.

"Fine then." I gritted my teeth, tightening both my lips before shaking his palm from my own fractiously.

"Don't be like this. Please love, I'm only trying to help you." Ringo sighed.

"Then don't treat me like a little child. Just tell me."

"Grace-" Said another voice from behind me.

I rolled my eyes impatiently, starting to feel slightly dizzy as I span back around like a carousel.

"What?" I snapped irritably, only to find the pale face of Paul staring me sceptically in the face.

"Are you saying this is true?" He choked. "Is what they're saying true? Are you-"

"No! Well...yes...I mean-" I forced impulsively.