Upon The Hill (Drabble)

(A/N: So...this is part of one of the chapters in Superhuman. Yeah, I know: spoiler. But it just keeps replaying in my head so I had to write it down. Is this even to be considered a drabble?)

His stomach wasn't growling anymore. With Niall eaten his full, cheeks still flushed pink, he continued to watch Liam beside him as he watched the sunset: The brunette had his arms around his knees, staring wondrously at the blood orange setting sun in the distance.

Niall bit his lips and told himself it wasn't right. But he was alone with Liam -- he couldn't help it. He closed his eyes and listened intently. All that was in Liam's head was about what Sue Lin told them about their powers, and how he wasn't able to watch a sunset as beautiful as this since before his real parents died.

Suddenly the thoughts became hazy and all Niall could see was his own face and hear Liam thinking about his name. Niall opened his eyes and found Liam staring at him, cheeks turned pink. "W-Were you reading my mind?!" he said, wide-eyed.

"I-I'm sorry!" said Niall, flustered. "You were just so peaceful. I was wondering what you were thinking and--"

"You didn't even bother to think that I would mind?"

"I'm sorry,"

"What did you see?" asked Liam, sighing.

Niall looked back at him, eyes fearful like a traumatized bunny. He didn't want to speak. He was already too embarassed and at the same time scared of what Liam could do: He saw how Liam knocked that bully right off back at the school a week before.

"It's okay, Niall," said Liam, reaching for his hand and taking it into his. "I won't get angry."

The Irish lad let out a small gasp through his lips. Liam's hand wasn't calloused like his -- they were slightly soft yet felt strong, like it could crush his finger bones to pieces in just one quick squeeze. He glanced at Liam who was still waiting for him to say something.

Niall bit his bottom lip. "You were thinking of what Lady Lin had told us. And I think it's okay to feel scared, Liam. But you can't blame yourself for those people who got hurt. They provoked you and you were just protecting yourself."

"You're too kind," said Liam, blushing with a smile. "What else?"

"Well," Niall shrugged, "it's about the sunset... But I think that's too personal. I'm sorry I saw that."

"It's okay." Liam smiled again, his dark brown eyes glimmered for a second. "Can you read what's on my mind right now?"

"Are you sure you want me to?" asked Niall.

Liam gave Niall's hand a soft squeeze. "Very sure."

Niall closed his eyes and tried to read Liam's mind again -- but more carefuly this time. At first it was dark. Then he saw the sunset they were looking at...and then it was his own face that he was seeing. His face slowly became more defined by the passing second and the way Liam said his name in his head made his skin tingle.

He opened his eyes again only to find Liam's face in close proximity to his. The brunette's lips were parted and his warm breath wafted onto Niall's cheeks. "Can I kiss you?" asked Liam.

The blonde was too shocked to even speak, only a short gasp escaping his lips once again. Was this really happening? He'd been crushing on Liam ever since he first saw him when he went with Ed to talk to Liam. There was something about how his such strong physique was ironically matched with his shyness that got Niall hooked on him.

He remembered what Ed had told him: People like us -- those who use the higher potential of the mind -- tend to cling to those who can give us security. It's both a strength and a weakness. A strength because we could fill each others shortcomings; a weakness because when the one that gives you security leaves you, you're left vulnerable...and often times heartbroken.

"I'll take that as a yes," said Liam.

Liam leaned in and pressed their lips together. Niall had no choice but to close his eyes and let go. His body was so swiftly caught on fire -- a burning desire burst into flames within his chest. As they got lost in each other's lips, Niall's hands shot up, his fingers threading through Liam's hair; the brunette already had his hands firmly holding Niall by the waist and pulling him closer.

Ed's words were slowly fading away from Niall's thoughts. It didn't really even matter right now, he thought. He wanted Liam -- he needed Liam -- even if it means he'll be vulnerable to a broken heart.