Stay

Merrily we fall out of line, out of line

I'd fall anywhere with you, I'm by your side

Swinging in the rain, humming melodies

We're not going anywhere until we freeze

It's morning already. The night and darkness, and the coldness seemed to have faded away so quickly, so swiftly that Niall wouldn't even believe that he had slept for more than ten hours now. But the chest nudging his back convinced him otherwise.

"Morning, sunshine," whispered Liam.

Niall giggled as Liam softly placed kisses on his neck, his unkempt stubble tickling his skin. It's just morning and Liam's already got himself wrapped around Niall like the latter was something so breakable, so fragile. This was the morning routine though. Three years of marriage and Liam still manages to make Niall's skin tingle with his wake-up greetings.

A light gasp escaped Niall's lips, toes curling and eyelids fluttering upon the feeling of Liam's teeth leaving another mark on the back of his neck. At times like this, Niall would presume that Liam was undeniably needing taking care of, but nothing ensued after Liam had left his mark. He simply spooned Niall, nose and lips buried under Niall's tangled hair which smelled like oranges.

Carefully we'll place our destiny

You came and you took this heart, and set it free

Every word you write or sing is so warm to me, so warm to me

I'm torn, I'm torn to be right where you are

Both of them woke up twenty minutes later to the sound of the alarm set for seven in the morning. It was a Tuesday so Niall was on breakfast duty, but Liam pulled him back down onto the bed again, stealing a quick kiss before chuckling triumphantly.

Their noses pressed against each other's, Liam smiled. "Gosh. The things you do to me, Horan."

"Payne," corrected Niall. "My last name is Payne now. It has been for the last three years."

"I'm the luckiest man on earth," mumbled Liam, eyes betraying him with a gleam of genuine tears. Niall blushed, throwing himself completely over Liam, making them crash down the bed which gave a loud groan.

Niall curled up into Liam's arms. "I have something to tell you," he said. Liam looked surprised. Thoughts came into his head, some so bizzare -- like maybe Niall was pregnant. "What is it?" Liam asked instead, not wanting to sound needy or stupid, or anything for that matter.

"You already know," replied Niall.

"I don't know, Ni. Tell me," said Liam.

Niall smiled. "I love you."

"I know." Liam's expression softened. "And you know I do too."

Burying his face onto Liam's chest, Niall's hands gently slithered from the older lad's warm torso, down his waist, and them up his arm, finally stopping at Liam's biceps before looking up at the older lad staring both endearingly and curiously at him. Niall leaned forward to kiss him, retreating back onto Liam's chest afterwards.

"My strong man," Niall murmured. "You'll always be here, right, Liam?"

"Of course. Anything for my Nialler." Liam kissed his forehead. "I'll always be here to protect you."

Forever is a long time

But I wouldn't mind spending it by your side

Tell me everyday I get to wake up to that smile

I wouldn't mind it at all

Niall watched as the world outside drowned under the pouring rain. Droplets splattered onto the window, making the illusion that somehow the inanimate object was crying. It was too early in the morning but he just couldn't sleep -- not in this state. His eyes were bloodshot and his lips were chapped from dryness. Niall caught a glance of himself on the mirror and he looked horrible. In fact he had been for the last few weeks.

As the rain slowly died out, Niall settled back down on the seat beside the window. Tears fell down his cheeks, hands curling around a picture of Liam. He could still hear the car crash in his head, the wailing sirens, and Liam's last breath which sounded like Niall's name.

"You promised..." whispered Niall. "But why didn't you stay?"

___________________________

P. S. This is also dedicated to the author of the mini-fic "I'm Not Afraid Anymore" which is the first fanfiction I have ever read from almost three years ago. If you haven't read it yet (and if the author hasn't deactivated her Tumblr yet) then I urge you to and hope you'll cry your hearts out like I did.