Chapter 23 -- Perennial

The Overlords aren't too big on touching. Sure, I can remember my mom scooping me up into a hug, or Jason tickling me relentlessly, and even Digit holding my hand so that we wouldn't lose each other in a crowd, but as I got older, all the comforting touches just... stopped.

I'm not totally oblivious; I do know that people often see me as a stoic individual with a big personal space bubble. And it's true; I do have a big bubble. But I also crave physical affection - the innocent kind (hugs and forehead kisses and an arm around the shoulders) - from the people I'm closest to, who also happen to be the Overlords, who don't do the whole touchy-feely thing. This only adds to my image of being a person who finds touching to be a big no-no.

This is probably why Sueña is so thrown off when I give her a squeezing hug just before we part ways tonight - the night of my escape.

"Are you sure you don't want to come with me?" I ask for the umpteenth time as I step away.

Sueña relaxes and shakes her head. "I can't. There's still things I need to do here. I'll find my way out eventually. Don't worry."

A clever smirk touches her features. I don't ask what she means, or what it is that she still needs to get done here. It's not going to be any of my business anymore, once I get out of here.

So I just nod, then walk away. We don't say goodbye. She doesn't call out after me. I don't look back.

It's nearing one in the morning. Originally, Psaqua and I were going to catch a little sleep before we set our plan into motion, but neither of us were in the mood. The anxiety of everything that could possibly go wrong has been keeping us up late the past few nights, anyway.

The guards might not do their patrols on time. There may be hidden cameras we missed. Or motion sensors. Or land mines, for all we know. I could even sneeze as I'm sneaking out, and while my eyes are closed I might run into the electrified fence.

There are so many stupid ways that this mission could fail.

In the end, it's best not to dwell on them.

This whole escape attempt thing would be so much easier with Digit's teleportation ability. Then I could just pop back home wherever I'd like.

Unfortunately, I was blessed with the useless abilities of telepathy, chlorokinesis, telekinesis, and sarcasm. It does no good to dwell on what can never be (aka what powers I can never have).

So instead, I focus my thoughts onto a conversation Sueña and I had earlier.

She was late getting back to our room after dinner because of who knows what. Some things it's best to stop questioning and just accept.

We were both pretty restless at that point. (I watched her brush out her hair and tie it back four different times.)

It was then that I asked, "Do you think the government keeps paper records of us anywhere?"

Sueña seemed pretty surprised by the question, but answered anyway. "I think so. How else would they keep track of us? I mean, they'd need paper back-ups in case a virus destroyed any virtual data, right?"

"Well, yeah," I agreed, curling up into a tiny ball on my mattress, head still resting on my pillow. "Unless they have multiple virtual back-ups on computers that aren't hooked up to any networks."

"That sounds like a lot of trouble to go through." Sueña shrugged.

"So does keeping paper files." I grumbled.

"Maybe, but wouldn't they keep some just to be safe?"

"Okay, let's assume they do. Where do you think they would be?"

"I would assume the records for this province would be in Paradis, since it's the capital. My mom used to work in those DSHA offices as an interpreter, back when we first moved to the city after my dad died. If I remember correctly, I think they're on the rue de something or other," she explained.

"It's on Rue St. Pierre. Saint Pierre Street in English. Nice try saying it in French, though." I made a mental note to check the DSHA offices for paper files, just in case, when I get home.

I was already trying to come up with a virus to destroy all their data on me (or at least on "Elle Webster" and "Perennial"), so I might as well be thorough and check out their paper files.

"Are you going to tell me why you needed to know about that?" she asked, dryly.

"I was thinking that after I break out, I'll need to get rid of any information they could potentially use to track me down."

"I see..." Psaqua said. "Just be careful, okay?"

"Can't make any promises." I flashed her a quick smile.

Psaqua regarded me with an almost rueful expression, and for a moment I thought she might actually feel sorry for me. Why, I don't know.

We stopped talking after that. Both of us quietly distracted ourselves separately while waiting for early morning, when our plan had been scheduled to be put into action.

Time passed quickly after that, and it was 12:55 am before we knew it.

And we were ready.

We exchanged a few words before we headed outside, taking an emergency exit door.

We parted ways just after leaving the building. Her, to run whatever interference she could, and me, to make my way out using whatever chances she gave me.

The campus is still and quiet tonight. The leaves on the trees started changing weeks ago, leaving the fields and hills around the school a pallet of orange and yellow and red. Unfortunately, those colors are hard to see at night.

Even more unfortunate is the leaves' tendency to crunch like potato chips under my feet.

I wince at the sound. Couldn't it have rained earlier today? Then the leaves would be wet and not so dry and brittle... Not even having chlorokinesis can fix this.

But it's a little too late to pick a different date. This will have to do.

I move ahead as planned, following a predetermined route. It's slow going, I have to pause every so often and wait for Sueña to work her magic on the security grids, turning them off as I pass through.

I don't know exactly how she does it, she's never struck me as a tech savvy hacker, but I strongly suspect that it has to do with standing outside the security control room door and brain hacking the people inside. Because while modern technology doesn't really seem like her style, pulling people's mental strings does.

I'm putting a lot of trust into Sueña right now, far more than I ever thought I'd be able to place in her. But deep down, I know I trust her because I don't really have another choice. It's either learn to rely on someone I met two months ago, or hand myself over to the jaws of DSHA. I try not to think about what will happen if I ever get caught. It can't be good.

The path I take is fairly straightforward. It involves cutting across the Capture the Flag fields where Aether discovered my telekinesis. As I cross them, I half expect him to step out of the shadows and walk with me.

But he doesn't. Of course he doesn't. It wouldn't make sense if he did. He said he would be at a movie marathon tonight. He wouldn't be looking for me. He has no reason to.

I make it to the fence without running into any serious trouble. I'm in the home stretch. There's light at the end of the tunnel. The end is in sight.

I'm sure there's more metaphors related to the "we're almost out of it" sentiment. I just can't think of them right now.

The fence is imposing, in a maximum security prison sort of way, cement and tall, laced with razor wire on the top.

When Sueña and I discussed the problem of it, we arrived at several conclusions:

1) There's no way I can climb it.
2) I can't jump over it. (It's not like I can leap tall buildings with a single bound.)
3) I'm not allowed to knock it over with telekinesis.
4) I'm going to have to either fly over it or find a plant strong enough to carry me to the other side.

Since I don't want to waste time figuring out the best way to use whatever random plants I might encounter here, I've elected that it may be quicker, easier, and altogether more reliable to just use telekinesis. I've achieved telekinetic flight before, in controlled environments under the Overlord's supervision. I haven't practiced in months though, not since my arrest. (Was that really only four and a half months ago?)

It's not a pleasant sensation, using telekinesis on yourself. I can only imagine how stomach-lurching it must be to someone else. I think I'm understandably apprehensive.

I take a deep, calming breath, and steel myself to try. As I concentrate, I keep my eyes open so I won't run into anything (Like razor wire. I hear it's not a fun experience).

Slowly, I begin to rise, going faster as I gain more confidence. My stomach flips as the soles of my feet just barely crest the top of the fence, and it's all I can do not to drop myself fifteen plus feet to ground on the the other side just to get it over with.

I hold my breath, then touch down safely.

From here, there should be only the guard patrols to pass.

I step quickly and lightly. My heart pounds, pumping adrenaline to my limbs. I try to focus my breathing, getting it steady.

It looks like I'm going to make it. Goodbye, Icarus. Hello, Paradis. (Home. I'm actually going home.)

I won't be getting much more help from Sueña from here on out. When she senses I've made it to this point, I think she'll head back to our room - which will be just her room, now.

I do a quick mental radar check, just to see if I can sense the guard patrols nearby.

I cannot.

But there is something else, a different mind, a singular one. One I recognize. One that tends to leave a bad taste in my mouth. One that is entirely too close for comfort.

Just as I open my eyes to do something, Tenacity catches me off guard and knocks me to the ground with a quick swipe of her leg.

She steps on me while I'm down, pinning me to the ground.

"What are you doing?" She hisses at me. I imagine there must be a snarl marring her features as she leans over me (seeing as she has my face pressed into the dirt).

I spit out some grass and crane my neck to get a breath of non-grass infested air. "Says the girl who is also outside the school perimeter at night."

Tenacity's knee presses harder into my back. "At least I'm headed back. You appear to be leaving."

"Haven't you just committed the same felony as me? Hypocrite." I mutter, and then with help from a little telekinesis, knock her off my back and launch to my feet. Dandelions curl up around me.

Tenacity stumbles back, preparing a defensive position. That's not exactly fair since that's usually my fighting position. (I rarely attack first.) This means we're now in a contest of stubbornness and patience. (Stubbornness for me, patience for her.)

"Perennial, do you know what all my powers are?" she asks, suddenly. It's an odd but somewhat relevant line of conversation.

I respond, "Empathy? Which is kind of ironic, given that you're... you."

She flashes a feral grin, long black hair glistening in the moonlight. "My other powers are density shifting and molecular disintegration."

Density Shifting. That's an Internalized power, centered in the body. With it, one can do many neat tricks, like walking through walls, which can cause cardiac arrest in unsuspecting bystanders. (Aether has this one.)

Molecular Disintegration is an Externalized power, one that affects and alters the world around you. With it, one need only touch the subject of their ire and then watch it crumble to dust within seconds.

I suppose Tenacity means this as a threat, but I doubt she'll try to kill me. And even if I did think she was a mortal danger to myself, I have the trump card.

"That's nice." I say breezily. "But do you know all of my powers?"

"Chlorokinesis... and weak telepathy," she says.

"You missed one." For a moment I allow Vex to consciously surface again. I reach within myself and find a reserve of power just waiting to be tapped.

A cruel smile touches my lips. I step closer to my opponent.

When she lunges to attack me, she finds herself stopping midair, but not of her own accord.

Her eyes bug out as she begins to understand.

"Telekinesis," I say it aloud for her benefit, seeing as I am preventing her vocal cords from working at the moment. "Tip of the day: always be thorough when learning the traits of your enemies." I walk around her still body, toying with her. "Do you know how easy it would be for me to snap your neck like this? I don't even have to touch you. I don't even need to make a gesture. Actually, I wouldn't even need to blink."

(Of course, I have no intention of doing such a thing, but she doesn't know that.)

(Hey, she threatened me with molecular disintegration, it's not like this is any worse than that.)

I raise my voice into the playful tone that makes Digit look at me like I'm a monster dressed in the skin of a teenage girl. "I want you to remember that every time you look at me, and I want you to remember it when you get back to your room, and later when you have the opportunity to rat me out to DSHA."

I tighten my grip on her airways, making them constrict. She chokes. I let her hang there like that for a second. Then I release her. She stumbles forward, glaring at me, clutching at her throat.

I smile viciously. "Run along."

With a final glare, she stumbles away, humiliated and defeated without a fight.

I watch her mind recede from me, and only relax when I know she's not going to turn back for another round. My shoulders sag. I hate doing that, painting myself as a psychopath to get what I want. It's something I haven't had to do since... since getting arrested, if I'm being honest.

I start walking again, thinking of Tenacity and why she might be outside the school at this hour. I can't think of any good reasons for her to...

Oh.

I pause, realizing the mistake in my logic.

What do I know of Tenacity?

She is 110% loyal to DSHA. However, through my few and far between interactions with her, I've been able to sense that like me and Aether, she's introverted. And I just saw that, also like me and Aether, she apparently likes to escape for quiet walks at night, when no one else is around.

And since she can density shift, she can go wherever she wishes.

Tenacity is so loyal to DSHA; she would never leave the property without permission.

Conclusion: The other side of the razor wire and concrete fence is not the end of the school property.

With a heavy sigh, I step forward a few paces and stretch out my hand. My fingers brush an artificial energy field. It's cleverly hidden. It's not even visible until something, like my hand, bumps against it, creating ripples.

Somewhere behind me, lights start to flash.

I stare out at the cornfield on the other side of the shield, just a few yards away.

I don't move, even when the spotlight lands on me.

I don't move, even when I can hear the guards coming.

And as they take me back into custody, I recall another "we're almost out of it" metaphor, one that offers little comfort but a tiny, foolish sliver of hope: It's always darkest before the dawn.