Chapter Fourteen- How Not to Make Friends: A Novel by Elle

*Elle is an artist. That kind of majorly got shunned…so basically I’m a crappy writer:/ whoops. I’ll go back and add some stuff in so new readers aren’t so surprised but yeah…*

            “Hi, I’m Elle.” I respond. She gives me a wide smile and pulls me into a hug; it is suffice to say that I was surprised. In the doorway stood the people whom I would assume to be her parents, holding a box, fan, and some other miscellaneous things.

            “We’re going to be great friends.” she tells me, her English accent thick as she pulls out of our hug. The lady behind her smiles and gives me a sheepish smile. The corner of my lip twitches upwards as I take in the extreme lack of space. All of our suitcases had shoved into the small room, leaving little space to move around.

            “Where are we going to put all these bags?” I ask her, my gaze flickering from her to mass amount of luggage.

            “You girls can put some under the bed, and the others can be stored at my place.” The lady steps in with; she gently pushes Vanessa aside and takes a step towards me. “Hello, you can call me Sav, I’m Vanessa’s mother.” I politely smile and nod my head in acknowledgment. I’m not much of a people person. “And this is her dad, Peter.” Sav motions to man behind her, not introducing him as her husband. He was leaned up against the doorframe, but gave me a wave nonetheless.

            “Great, mom.” Vanessa steps in with, pushing her mom to the side. “Dad,” she says, directing her attention to Peter. “You can just set the fridge and fan down.” he follows her instructions, but remains silent. “Mom, I’ll call you when I need you to come pick up the suitcases.” The final instruction to Sav was a little abrupt, but it wasn’t really any of my business to judge or interfere.

            “Alright, Vanessa, I’ll see you two ladies later!” and just like that they were gone.

            “We’re only going to be able to keep her away so long before she finds it necessary to help us unpack.” Vanessa pauses and glances around the room. “I highly suggest we get started before she returns.” she closes the door so we wouldn’t be bothered by the hustle and bustle of all the other girls, and then we get started.

            “That dress is absolutely gorgeous!” Vanessa coos as she examines the beautiful dress in awe. “Where on earth did you get that?”

            “It was purchased for me back in California.” Louis insisted I keep the dress, I tried to give it back to him, but he said there was no point in him having a dress that was obviously meant for me. That conversation occurred after the break up, so we were kind of tense.

            “Ugh. I wish I had one.” she teasingly whines, reaching out to touch it. “So are you from California?”

            “Oh no,” I tell her, laughing as I do so. “I’m from the East Coast, Rhode Island to be exact.” she nods her head, as though she knows exactly the place.

            “So I’ll be rooming with an all American girl, huh?” a sparkle in her blue-gray eyes convinced me that she wasn’t implying anything mean.

            “You’re just lucky I didn’t bring my bald eagle along.” I tell her, smiling brightly. I put the dress on a hanger and place it on the rack in the closet. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Vanessa’s jaw almost on the floor.